Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghost7657730 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 08:31 AM
    South Dakota child abandonment laws
    How long of a parent having no contact with their child is it considered abondonment
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost7657730 View Post
    how long of a parent having no contact with their child is it considered abondonment

I am reading that a parent's rights can be terminated when an adoption is pending but not for abandonment without adoption.

"http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=25-6-4
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2012, 06:00 PM
    I have learned from the legal experts on this site, that abandonment is when a child is left alone, with no adult care or supervision at all, completely totally alone.

A non custodial parent not having contact with his/her child is not considered legal abandonment.

Now, keep in mind, this is second hand, from things I have heard.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Please read this sticky:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-364259.html

If you have any further specific questions, feel free to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a convitced felon from South Dakota still hunt waterfowl in South dakota. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a felon from South Dakota been hunting my whole life since I was 11 yrs old. I am now 26. I have 3 DUI and that's a felony in South Dakota. I want to know if I can still hunt waterfowl.

Child abandonment laws [ 3 Answers ]

I married a man 2 years ago. We had lived together for 4 years prior to that. He has 2 daughters. There mother has not been in the area for several years. Twice a year she will see the children for a few hours. The girls were raised by their great grandmother in the projects. When I came into...

Child Abandonment Laws [ 7 Answers ]

I gave custody of my second child to my exhusband in our divorce because I could not support two children on my own at that time. We got back together about a month after our divorce. We had been together until recently. He was letting me see my son until two months ago. I have been trying to see...

Abandonment of a child.what are the laws? [ 2 Answers ]

By law, when is it okay to file abandonment paperwork against your child's other parent? How long does it have to be before you can file the paperwork? If you have a protection order for you and your child against the other person, can you still file the abandonment paperwork if it is in the...

Child abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I live in Illinois. He has joint cusody of his 3 children with his exwife. He was paying almost 50% of his check for child support, and picking them up on the weekends. As of Feb of 2006 he was injured on the job, and hasn't worked since. His ex wife dropped the children off March...

View more questions Search