Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike Jorgeson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Leaf blower will not start
    How do I get a 2 year old Craftsman leaf blower to start?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 22, 2007, 07:42 PM
    The biggest problem with these things is stale, old gas. If that's the problem all you can do is try to clean the carb (it's not worth paying to have it fixed.) It is really important to not leave old gas (3 months) in the unit.
    But you may want to check the air filter. If the air filter is somewhat soft and does not crumble try washing it thoroughly, with a little dish soap and then reoil it with a couple of drops of oil. Note, if it is the filter, unit will start with it removed. A spark plug could be a east fix. What exactly is it doing when you try to start? Is it doing anything or totally dead? Is it possible it just got flooded?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I agree with Matt but would add that a 40:1 gas oil mix goes stale quickly because it separates in addition to evaporation. I regularly leave gas in my tractor and washers ( don't do this at home ) all winter and they start up fine year after year. Set a weed wacker or blower down for 4 months and you have trouble. A carb the size of your thumb clogs up so darned fast it isn't funny. I have found that flushing with a good carb cleaner gets them going again 2 out of three times. Be careful don't to spray that cleaner in your eyes or near flame. I won't explain how I know not to do that.
    Texas121 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 08:34 AM
    If the bolts that hold the head to the block are lose it will not start. That was the trouble I found on mine. I would check this before I spent money or more time looking...
    mattjones052185 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 03:33 PM

Dealing with the same problem right now. Make sure you're using a Champion RDY7J plug with a 0.02 in gap and run a compression test before you start tearing it apart. You should be pulling about 100 lbs compression.
    Texas121 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 06:53 PM

I rebuilt the carb. New gas new plug etc. no help.. When I finally tightened the 2 bolts that hold the head to the block all was fixed. Try it and I believe your blower will start...
    BOOKEM91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Throw some fuel into the spark plug hole and see if she fires up if not check compression
    cbhwfgak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Blach nlacfbadfgna;fgadfgadfgaldfgnadrkyjh;x
    sonny pelot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Sounds like it wants to start but does not get over the hum sound.
    patcrahan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
    I think that is my problem. I went to a guy that did that and it worked great for about 3 months. I started it yesterday, it ran for awhile and then stopped. I used starting fluid and it worked for about 30 seconds and then died. Any suggestions?
    dfozzard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Craftman leaf blower will start no fire to plug

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ran leaf blower without oil [ 13 Answers ]

My darling wife ran a Craftsman leaf blower with straight gas - no oil mixed in. It ran about 10 minutes then stopped. The starter cord will not pull. I took it apart and can see what is stopping the cord - 2 spring loaded arms are hitting a round, grooved plastic piece in such a way that it stops...

Poulan blower does not start [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a poulan weedeater blower that does not seem to start. I changed the sparkplug yet nothng. Any suggestion please?

Leaf blower lost power [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 25cc blower that has worked great for several seasons. I've been using gas from the same can for a while-- no problems. I put new gas in and now it is very difficult to start and when it does, has very little power. Thinking my mixture could be wrong, I ran a full tank and...

Craftsman 2 cycle 230 mph leaf blower [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used regular Castrol 2 cycle motor oil (instead of craftsman synthetic) and now the engine is seized. What do I have to do to repair the engine? The manual states to only use synthetic so I assume Sears will not repair this unit as it is only 4 months old.

Leaf Blower Engine started to smoke [ 1 Answers ]

My electric powered leaf blower started to slow down and when I unplugged it, it started to smoke through the air vents. Is the engine shot and I need a new one, or should I attempt opening it up and "taking a look?" Thanks ! Helen

View more questions Search