Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cayork715 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Lost title for mobile home
    The title for our mobile home was lost is it possible to get one reissued or is it possible to sell one without the title?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 06:12 PM

A title for a mobile home is easy to replace. If you are the owner of the home and the home is yours (no liens by a finance company) you take the S/N from the metal plate located near one of the lower corners of the house and take that number to the DMV. They will verify that you are indeed the owner of the home via your driver's license and once they do they will issue you a Duplicate Title (cost is about $10). You must do this in person at their offices. It cannot be done by mail.

The duplicate title will be necessary for you to legally sell the home to someone else. You cannot sell the home without the title.

The mobile home title is treated the same way a car title is treated. Even if you were to trade your home in for a new mobile home, you would have to surrender the original (or in this case the duplicate) title to the dealer who takes in your trade in. If you are selling the home to an individual you would have to have the duplicate title to sign over to the new buyer for them to take to the DMV to get it transferred into their name.

If you have a lien on the mobile home by a finance company, you can ask them to obtain a duplicate title for you or get you a memorandum of title. The finance company generally holds the original title to a mobile home until it is paid off in full.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2009, 08:04 PM

Agreed, it is just like a car title, merely go down to the government agency that does trailer titles and get a replacement,
    barbara72351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 05:02 PM
    This sounds all fine and dandy. But the DMV here in il. Just gives us a form to send to state.then the state claims there is no record of mobile home. There for no title to get duplicate. There must be a way to get a title ,but apparently no one has an idea how. NOT EVEN THE STATE OF IL. (go figure?)our the people we have talked to at the state level has no idea what the hick they are doing. Bank where mobile home was paid off has lost title.the dang banks have no idea either. What now? Have sold but no loan can be made without a title
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by barbara72351 View Post
    this sounds all fine and dandy. but the DMV here in il. just gives us a form to send to state.then the state claims there is no record of mobile home. there for no title to get duplicate. there must be a way to get a title ,but apparently no one has an idea how. NOT EVEN THE STATE OF IL. (go figure?)our the people we have talked to at the state level has no idea what the hick they are doin. bank where mobile home was paid off has lost title.the dang banks have no idea either. what now? have sold but no loan can be made without a title
    Try going down to the Tax Assessor or Tax Collector's Office in your county and ask them how the home got into the county without a title. Sometimes the County can help on problems like this to steer you in the right direction to get the title.

Did you actually go down to the DMV in person and request a duplicate title for the home?

The home was obviously taxed somehow and some one down at the County has your answer. Go in person. Don't phone them as phoning does not work as well as an inperson visit with your ID.
    barbara72351 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 06:12 PM

Have been to court house, tax records, DMV, sent off twice to state and called twice. State says "it must have been bought in another state.NOOOO!! our bank claims they have lost title, or (quote) someone made a bad mistake giving us a loan without a title.OOOPPS! Now since we have already paid it off they claim they can no longer help us get a title because of the privacy act. Wouldn't this be their mistake and they should fix it? Someone tells me a copy of title would have been on the loan papers. But guess what? Never sent us the final loan papers and sure they can't find them either. What a mess. If I had a lot of money to through away I would call a lawyer.
    darlenesmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
    Thanks this advice is so helpful
    deanna10664 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
    I am dealing with the same thing. The company we purchased the home from is no longer in business. I have contacted the manufacturer... State has no record of it. I am so lost. We have a buyer for the home but cannot complete without title.
    deanna10664 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deanna10664 View Post
    I am dealing with the same thing. The company we purchased the home from is no longer in business. I have contacted the manufacturer...State has no record of it. I am so lost. We have a buyer for the home but cannot complete without title.
    I just contacted the Tax Assessor they informed me to go back to the Secretary of State, get a form to apply for a new # for the title, follow instructions on that form, then have a police officer go to home and verify property.

Wish me luck
    gottaknow442 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Okay, the thing is I'm trying to buy a mobile home/trailer/manufactured home, whatever it's really called, from a far flung cousin of mine. He bought and paid for the trailer, but he doesn't have a deed or title to it. I want to get the trailer, but my husband say's "no title no trailer". So I was wondering if there was any way to get the title or deed for it? Or do I have my cousin do what twinkiedooter said about taking the S/N to the DMV to get a duplicate title? It's just in not sure it'll work for the trailer I'm talking about... ohh buying something is so complicated! :/
    Does anybody have an answer for me? P.S. I live in Texas... does that help?
    gottaknow442 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    A title for a mobile home is easy to replace. If you are the owner of the home and the home is yours (no liens by a finance company) you take the S/N from the metal plate located near one of the lower corners of the house and take that number to the DMV. They will verify that you are indeed the owner of the home via your driver's license and once they do they will issue you a Duplicate Title (cost is about $10). You must do this in person at their offices. It cannot be done by mail.

The duplicate title will be necessary for you to legally sell the home to someone else. You cannot sell the home without the title.

The mobile home title is treated the same way a car title is treated. Even if you were to trade your home in for a new mobile home, you would have to surrender the original (or in this case the duplicate) title to the dealer who takes in your trade in. If you are selling the home to an individual you would have to have the duplicate title to sign over to the new buyer for them to take to the DMV to get it transferred into their name.

If you have a lien on the mobile home by a finance company, you can ask them to obtain a duplicate title for you or get you a memorandum of title. The finance company generally holds the original title to a mobile home until it is paid off in full.
    Okay, the thing is I'm trying to buy a mobile home/trailer/manufactured home, whatever it's really called, from a far flung cousin of mine. He bought and paid for the trailer, but he doesn't have a deed or title to it. I want to get the trailer, but my husband say's "no title no trailer". So I was wondering if there was any way to get the title or deed for it? Or do I have my cousin do what twinkiedooter said about taking the S/N to the DMV to get a duplicate title? It's just in not sure it'll work for the trailer I'm talking about... ohh buying something is so complicated! :/
    Does anybody have an answer for me? P.S. I live in Texas... does that help?
    lynnjz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 05:36 PM
    I am so fed up. I live in California. I have been to the bank and the state housing and development office. The bank had sent me the title which has been paid off for years. It has been lost. I am trying to get a copy of it but the bank can't find anything because it is too old and the DMV says that is the Housing Dev Dept. I am at a loss. I did a search through the archive at the County Recorder.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2013, 09:15 AM
    Hello l:

I think a mobile home title is just like a car.. So, I'd be at the DMV.. If they say the OTHER department has the records, make them SHOW you the rule.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Title to mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

A man has a used mobile home for sale and I am interested in buying it for my parents. He says he has no title. What can I do to get a title if I do buy it?

Mobile home title [ 5 Answers ]

How do I get a title for a manufactured home in NYS. The park owner that I bought it from said he never got a title when he bought it from another park owner. I am trying to sell it And the buyer's attorney wants a title.

How do I get Title of Mobile Home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was given free of charge an abandoned mobile home in holiday mobile home park by the manager of this park. I was told that after paper work was done on it I would be given title to transfer. When I asked the manager about the title last week she told me she had 32 others she was working on...

Mobile home title [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I paid off my trailer years ago.I went to get insurance on it and found out there's a lien on it,the finance company is no longer in business.How do I go about getting this lien off so I can get insurance?

Title to mobile home and title to land is separate can it be sold on one deed [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into the country in a mobile home and started renting then a year later we decided to purchase the land and mobile home on contract. We have paid taxes and insurance on it. 2 years later we find the person selling it to us does not have the title to mobile home just to land. Does he have...

View more questions Search