Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knuttsboutu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Can a landlord show an apartment while occupied
    Can a landlord put my apartment up for rent while I'm still occupying the apartment and we have an upcoming court case?
    nibal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 05:45 PM
    Your landlord cannot show your apartment without your Permission even with eviction notice call the police right away I know from experience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2012, 04:49 AM
    Hello k:

The above post is incorrect. The landlord CAN show your apartment, but, depending on what state you live in, he MUST give reasonable notice. Given the above, if you happen to be hosting a dinner party during that time, you CAN tell him NO. If he shows up WITHOUT notice, you don't have to let him in, and I wouldn't.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2012, 04:53 AM
    As excon states correctly, all US states have laws allowing a LL to show an apartment or enter the apartment with reasonable notice, usually defined as 24 hours.

If this was not allowed then landlords could lose rental from vacant units.

However you mention an upcoming court case. What is that case about? It could have a bearing on the landlord's ability to show the apartment. Also where are you? Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Also the police will not intervene in a civil matter. So while the landlord does need your permission to enter (except in an emergency), if you refuse a reasonable appointment, it may not help your court case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2012, 05:58 AM
    I agree, this is a open forum, so a poster like the first is allowed to post even if not complete ( by saying where) or wrong, There are nations where I am sure they can't, And most likely nations where they can without any notice.

In the US, they may show it with proper notice, that is often 24 hours, but some leases may state a longer time in it

The only maybe is this court case, is it against the landlord ? And what is it, do you have a lease, are you being evicted ?

Also calling the police does not do any good, it is a civil matter and they will not get involved.
    nibal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2012, 11:29 AM
    My sister had this problem with her landlord she called the police and they told the landlord he is not allowed to go in as long as the tenant doesn't want you in the apartment she also was being evicted and she had no lease this was in jersey.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
    As is so often the case, the police don't know the law. The law allows for entry with notice. So if the landlord gives proper and reasonable notice, they can't refuse entry. Probably your sister's landlord showed up without notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

Landlord showing apartment while still occupied [ 8 Answers ]

I'm having a difficult time with my landlord showing my apartment. My lease ends at the end of July and he has been having many showings every week. The problem was initially that he wasn't giving me 24 hours notice, which, as far as I can tell, he is required to. Now he is giving me 24 hours...

Can a Landlord remove appliances from occupied unit without an eviction notice? [ 7 Answers ]

Tenant is 9 days late on rent, no eviction notice received from landlord, can landlord remove appliances in unit without an eviction notice?

Is it legal for a landlord to show an apartment that is still occupied in New Jersey [ 3 Answers ]

Can a landlord show my place while I am still here. I have given notice that I am moving out so I know they want to get someone in as soon as possible but I just want to know my rights. I live in New Jersey

View more questions Search