Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paralyticpossum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Cause of Back-Up?
    Every once in a while this problem will occur, and it doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold outside: I will wash a load of clothes, the pipe (somewhere along the line) gets backed up and overflows onto my laundry room floor. Meanwhile, sooty water (sometimes with some fecal matter) will back up into my bathtub, and our toilet will gurgle and bubble air. Is there any way I can ascertain what kind of backup I might be having, and where it might be occurring? This all happened once more yesterday, and this morning after I flushed the toilet, I heard bubbling for a while coming from my bathtub drain (no back-up of water this time, though), and then all the water from the toilet got sucked out of the bowl really quickly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paralyticpossum
    Every once in a while this problem will occur, and it doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold outside: I will wash a load of clothes, the pipe (somewhere along the line) gets backed up and overflows onto my laundry room floor. Meanwhile, sooty water (sometimes with some fecal matter) will back up into my bathtub, and our toilet will gurgle and bubble air. Is there any way I can ascertain what kind of backup I might be having, and where it might be occurring? This all happened once more yesterday, and this morning after I flushed the toilet, I heard bubbling for a while coming from my bathtub drain (no back-up of water this time, though), and then all the water from the toilet got sucked out of the bowl really quickly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :)

Are you on a sewer or septic tank? There is no doubt that you have a blockage somewhere that sends a bubble of air back up the line when the discharge hits it. The blockage sounds like it's outside the house but I don't have enough information to tell you if it's in the sewer line or the septic tank. Also since the system attempted to vent through the toilet,( then all the water from the toilet got sucked out of the bowl really quickly) I would have the bathroom vent checked.
    Can you give me more details? Tom
    paralyticpossum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Hi Tom, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. We are on city sewer lines, and all the city pipes in our yard are plastic. I think the immediate problem may have been alleviated yesterday when I heard my bathtub drain gurgling and then the water got sucked out of the toilet - At least, I mean I think whatever was causing that particular blockage may have dislodged for the time being. There's been no more gurgling, bubbling, trouble flushing, or drainage problems with our washing machine. Is there anything poor dumb laypeople like myself can do in-between crises to help keep our pipe system clear?

Thanks so much!
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paralyticpossum
    Hi Tom, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. We are on city sewer lines, and all the city pipes in our yard are plastic. I think the immediate problem may have been alleviated yesterday when I heard my bathtub drain gurgling and then the water got sucked out of the toilet - At least, I mean I think whatever was causing that particular blockage may have dislodged for the time being. There's been no more gurgling, bubbling, trouble flushing, or drainage problems with our washing machine. Is there anything poor dumb laypeople like myself can do in-between crises to help keep our pipe system clear?

Thanks so much!
    I was mistaken when I said I thought the blockage was outside the house.
    What you just described could only happen if the blockage was downstream from the toilet and upstream from the bathroom vent. Whether the blockage was something dropped and then flushed down the toilet or simply solids that built up over time we will never know. Let's hope that whatever it was found its way out to the street. I wish I could give you advice on how to keep your drainage clear but the best advice I can give you is to save your money and don't spend it on harsh chemicals advertised on TV to keep your drains open. Most of them don't work and I've yet to see one open up a total blockage. Good luck, Tom
    vansmallwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Toilet backups
    Help me!
    My toilet in by back bathroom seems to backup in the tub and the toilet will overflow when we wash clothes. Sometimes the tub will backup and the contents from the front or the back toilet or the washer will come up. There is a gurgle sound when this happens. Sometimes when I don't wash the toilet will flush fine the flush the back toilet a few minutes later and everything happens again. What is happening?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 30, 2005, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmallwood
    Help me!
    My toilet in by back bathroom seems to backup in the tub and the toilet will overflow when we wash clothes. Sometimes the tub will backup and the contents from the front or the back toilet or the washer will come up. There is a gurgle sound when this happens. Sometimes when I don't wash the toilet will flush fine the flush the back toilet a few minutes later and everything happens again. What is happening?

Are you on city sewer or a septic system?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

How do I get him back [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I just broke up tonight and I want to get him back but also want to wait awhile so he won't think that in missing him already, let me give you some history : we have been together for about a year and we have a baby girl on the way I don't want her to grow up like I did with out a...

How To Get Him Back [ 9 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with this guy for a year and a month, and he decided he needs a break. He still loves me he just doesn't know if he wants to be single, and he doesn't want to have a doubt in his mind that he wants to be with me. The thing is, he's expecting me to wait for a couple of...

I wants my ex back [ 13 Answers ]

Hey everyone. :( I', desprete, I finally found the girl of my dreams, and no one could ever take her place, and I'm attempted to end my life if she isn't in it. I knows I sound like afool, but it's just the way I feel. I tried going with other girls but I just can't do it, all I do is think...

Can I have her back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi please advise me what to do and what are my chaces... anyway this is the story I love this girl I was seeing this girl for 5 months and we really become very good friends.On 1st April as we know that we call it "APRIL FOOL". At that day I decided to make her fool and to find out that she...

View more questions Search