Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadams78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Chandelier has 2 black wires and a ground to 1 white and 1 black wire with ground
    I have a chandelier with 2 black wires and a ground wire and I have to connect it to 1 black wire, 1 white wire, and a ground. What do I do?
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jun 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
    Is one of the black wires coming from the chandelier ribbed? (Has a texture to it while the other is smooth)? If so, the ribbed one is your neutral, which will connect to the white wire in the ceiling box. If not, you can usually just connect one black chandelier wire to the black wire in the ceiling, and connect the other black chandelier wire to the white wire in the ceiling box. However, this could switch the hot and neutrals in the chandelier, and I'm not really sure if this is permissible, so I will wait for someone else to answer. Either way, The two ground wires will be connected together.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Yes, ribbed wire is neutral. All new wiring used for this purpose is marked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ceiling light has black, white, red and ground wire. Ceiling wires are... [ 5 Answers ]

Black, white and ground. What do I do with the extra red wire in the new light kit? I didn't have a ceiling fan nor do I want one. Thanks.

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Switch has black,red, white and ground. Box only has black, white and ground. [ 2 Answers ]

It is a pass and seymour RT1 time switch 7 button preset

How do you wire a single switch (1 black 1 white 1 ground) to a 5 wire hunter remote? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing ceiling fan operated off a single switch (1-black, 1-white, and ground). I am trying to install a hunter ceiling fan remote (model 27157) with 5 wires (1-black/white, 1-red, 1 black, and 2-white commons). I have tried several combinations of wiring, including the recommended...

Ceiling electrical box only has red and black wires (no white or ground) [ 12 Answers ]

The ceiling electrical box in my kids bedroom only has a single red and single black wire, but nothing else (no white wire, no bare copper ground wire, not even a grounding nut). I bought a ceiling light fixture which has the standard black, white and copper wires (hot, neutral, ground), but I've...

View more questions Search