Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sersteven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Power out in part of house breaker not tripped
    Power went out, we were running multiple window AC's the night it happened. I came up, plugged in my desktop computer to the outlet (it was unplugged), and powered on the PSU when it went out. There are 5 rooms upstairs, ones out are my room, master bedroom (incl bathroom), and the middle bathroom.

Strangely though, ALL the ceiling fans have lost power, even the ones in the rooms with power still.

My father tested using a voltage tester and can't seem to find the issue. We replaced all the outlets he re-grounded them. We opened some of the ceiling fans up and checked those wires as well but can't find anything wrong at those ends.

Any help?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2012, 04:18 AM
    There must be a loose or open connection somewhere in the circuit. Ned to begin at the panel, checking for power at the breaker, and then follow the circuit wiring to each outlet, junction box, etc, checking for power and looking for that defective connection.

There is no shortcut for this problem, other than systematically checking each splice or connection point in the circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power to section of house. No tripped circuit breaker [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently renovating a living room dining room area. I was done for the day and in the process of cleaning up. I had a compressor connected to an outlet on one side and was using it to blow off saw dust off my miter saw. No other tool or light fixture in the area was on. I then plugged...

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

Power in part of house goes dead w/out triping breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, great site, use it more than I thought I would. Question: The electricity in part of my house will go dead without tripping the breaker for those rooms and then will come back on within 30-60sec by itself, lights have been dimming as if a dip in voltage has occurred. Thanks Gbrown

View more questions Search