Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZacXHol2012 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
    What if my child moves out at age 17, will my child support terminate?
    My son decided to go live with his mother when he turned 13 years old and the tables have turned and now I am paying her child support. He is wanting to move out on his own and get a job at 17. If he does this, does the support order terminate since he will no longer be living under her roof?

Jun 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
    What if my child moves out at age 17, will my child support terminate?
    My son is 17 years old now and has just started a new job. He is currently a senior in high school and will graduate in May 2013. With him working now, can I have my child support obligation stopped? And if not stopped, is there a way to have this set-up for him to receive the child support directly and not his mother? She is using it at a supplemental income instead of supporting his "Required Needs"?

Jun 22, 2012, 06:33 PM
    Can I legally have the support payments changed to go directly to my 17 year old son?
    My son is 17 years old now and has just started a new job. He is currently a senior in high school and will graduate in May 2013. With him working now, can I have my child support obligation stopped? And if not stopped, is there a way to have this set-up for him to receive the child support directly and not his mother? She is using it at a supplemental income instead of supporting his "Required Needs"?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
    No. Child support is to be paid to a custodial parent, not the child.

Is he still living under her roof? Is he still eating food she buys? If so, she is still supporting him.
    pmsb1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacXHol2012 View Post
    My son decided to go live with his mother when he turned 13 years old and the tables have turned and now I am paying her child support. He is wanting to move out on his own and get a job at 17. If he does this, does the support order terminate since he will no longer be living under her roof?
    I am not an attorney but I do have some experience with child support. If you call your child support office they can help you find the proper paper work to start the process. In Van Wert Co. OH the support office does everything for you and notifies you when your child is 18 yrs old that you no longer have to pay.They even figure out if you over paid. In Fort Wayne, IN you are responsible until your child is 21. My children lived with their father and moved out, had children of their own and I had to go to court to get the support terminated. I found all of the paper work on line, filled it out and submitted it to the court, We had a hearing and the support was terminated from the date I filed, not the time they moved out. They have to be able to support themselves and not sure but not going to school. You have to also stipulate that you want your child emancipated. Good luck. Mickie

Jun 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    No. Child support is to be paid to a custodial parent, not the child.

Is he still living under her roof? Is he still eating food she buys? If so, she is still supporting him.
    No he moved out and is living on his own and working a full time job. She said that I still had to pay her until he turns 18 even though she don't support him anymore.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Issue is, depends on where you are at, in the US, he can not legally move out on his own at 17, since he can not sign contracts or rent or get electric in his name or anything.

Also at 13 he had no right to decide where he was to live, his mother would have had to file in court and get custody taken back, you could have fought it and most likely won if you had raised him all the time before.

At 17 you could go back to court and get custody of him, since the mother has failed to properly care for him, ( she can not allow him to just move out) So you can get the court to either force him back home, or force him to go to you, or be put in a foster home.

What you can't do, is stop child support for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ny state child support ends at what age if after 18 the child is not in school? [ 6 Answers ]

Do you still have to pay child support if your child is no longer in school after the age of 18?

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Can you still receive child support after child over 18 years of age [ 1 Answers ]

First of all I have been getting child suport when my daughter turned 10 yrs old... he did not claim her... so to took him to court,, then I started getting support... of course back child support... my question is , CAN I STILL CONT TO GET SUPPORT FROM HIM IF SHE IS Going GTO COLLEGE? Please help

Stopping child support when child moves in with you [ 3 Answers ]

About 2 years ago my step daughter moved in with us. We were not sure how this was all going to work out so we asked "the mom" to simply pay for clothes she needs and reimburse us on the child support being garnished from husbands pay. Now that this is not going as well as we'd hoped and step...

View more questions Search