Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    looking4help12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Infrequent pot smoker- urine test
    I am a very infrequent smoker, and the last time I smoked was the beginning of the month. It will be 4 weeks to my drug test. I will be taking a urine and a blood test. I am wondering if I will pass the test? The last time I smoked before that was the previous month. So in total I have smoked twice in 2 months. I am 6'1 and 195 and good shape work out at least 3 times a week.

Also how accurate are take home drug tests?

Thank you for your help
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Extended detection times for THC apply to frequent smokers, usually defined as 3+ times per week. For infrequent smokers such as the once monthly that you indicate elimination time is much shorter. You should be entirely safe at 4 weeks.*

OTC drug tests vary in accuracy by manufacturer. Each must be registered with FDA and receive a waiver. So get the name and you can check it on-line. Here: CLIA waived tests

The tests use the same principle antigen-antibody as laboratory instrumental immunoassays so have an error rate of about 15%

Ref:
    Musshoff & Madea, Table 1, p. 158

Jun 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Extended detection times for THC apply to frequent smokers, usually defined as 3+ times per week. For infrequent smokers such as the once monthly that you indicate elimination time is much shorter. You should be entirely safe at 4 weeks.

OTC drug tests vary in accuracy by manufacturer. Each must be registered with FDA and receive a waiver. so get the name and you can check it on-line. Here: Medical Devices

The tests use the same principle antigen-antibody as laboratory instrumental immunoassays so have an error rate of about 15%

Thank you for your answer!

I also took a Check First home drug test and it came up with a negative result. So I should be in the clear right?
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by looking4help12 View Post
    Thank you for your answer!

I also took a Check First home drug test and it came up with a negative result. So I should be in the clear right?
    Should be!

I added a reference to the post above that provides some time lines in support of my statement.

Jun 21, 2012, 06:25 PM
    Should be!

I added a reference to the post above that provides some time lines in support of my statement.
    My concern is the Blood Test. I have read many time tables and would like to know your thoughts

Thank you
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
    The blood test is of no concern. If there was THC in blood it would appear in urine. You will not have any systemic THC at that time. So the matrix tested is of no concern.

Jun 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
    The blood test is of no concern. If there was THC in blood it would appear in urine. You will not have any systemic THC at that time period. So the matrix tested is of no concern.
    Thank you!

I know I probably should stop reading things, but it said something about there being a difference of THC metabolites being tested. Is there a difference?

Thank you for all your help
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
    When cannabis is smoked it immediately enters the blood stream. THC is metabolized, or broken down, into various elements. The first step is THC in the blood becomes 11-OH-THC (11-hydroxy-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). This metabolite is still psychoactive but is further oxidized to THC-COOH (11-nor-9-carboxy-delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol). In humans, more than 100 metabolites have been identified but these are believed to be most active.

The initial screen for cannabinoids picks up on THC and THC-COOH but probably cross-reacts with a number of other metabolites like CBN or CBD.

These all derive from THC > THC-COOH. Once they are eliminated no more concern.

There aren't any dark secret processes looming in the laboratory. The test is standardized for specific metabolites and if those are not present in an amount in excess of 50 ng/mL (urine) then the result is negative.

Jun 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
    When cannabis is smoked it immediately enters the blood stream. THC is metabolized, or broken down, into various elements. The first step is THC in the blood becomes 11-OH-THC (11-hydroxy-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). This metabolite is still psychoactive but is further oxidized to THC-COOH (11-nor-9-carboxy-delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol). In humans, more than 100 metabolites have been identified but these are believed to be most active.

The initial screen for cannabinoids picks up on THC and THC-COOH but probably cross-reacts with a number of other metabolites like CBN or CBD.

These all derive from THC > THC-COOH. Once they are eliminated no more concern.

There aren't any dark secret processes looming in the laboratory. The test is standardized for specific metabolites and if those are not present in an amount in excess of 50 ng/mL (urine) then the result is negative.

Thank you for that breakdown.

Is there anything else I could keep doing to help my body keep breaking down any toxin in my body? I have about 10 days till my test, and I have a negative home drug test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question for DrBill--Infrequent User of Marijuana + Hair Drug Test [ 17 Answers ]

Hi DrBill, I know you've answered this question a couple of times before, but each situation is different, and like most people going in for a hair test, I'm getting slightly paranoid and nervous. I won't bore you with a long intro, so here's the gist of it: I am a very infrequent smoker. ...

Infrequent user of weed urine test [ 0 Answers ]

I smoked last Wednesday night and took a drug test six days later. On Friday of the week that I smoked I passed a take home drug test. In total it was six days between the time I smoked and the time I had to take my pre employment drug test. Am I going to pass the drug screen? I am an infrequent...

How long is pot in your blood and urine? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I have a drug test coming up. -- The last time I smoked pot was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I guess I consider myself an occasional smoker. The facility may take my blood and/or urine... Does anyone know how long it takes to get out of your blood and urine? I just want to be...

View more questions Search