Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LoopyARM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 08:45 PM
    How old do you have to be to choose if you want to live with your mom or dad?
    I am 11 years old my mom and dad are split and I want to know how old you have to be to choose if you want to live with your mom or dad
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 10:01 PM

Until you are an adult, the court decides where it is in your best interests to reside.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Agreed, it is 18, before that, if one parent wants to file in court you may be allowed to testify what you want, but that is not the only thing they look at. So if you are with MOM and DAD wants to file in court to try and get custody of you, he can do that.

But you can not just decide
    Ashcakes8687 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
    In the great state of Georgia you only have to be 17 and in other states I know you have to go through emancipation proceedings, certain things have to be happening to be awarded.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcakes8687 View Post
    In the great state of Georgia you only have to be 17
    Can you provide a cite for that? As far as I know, in no US state can a child (under 18) make that decision.
    3rgt3g13rg Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 9, 2012, 11:46 AM
    You have to be 13 years old my parents also split and I lived with my dad, I didn't want to and my mom kept taking him though court and the court said when I turn 13 I get to choose, and when I turned 13 I choose to live with my mom
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rgt3g13rg View Post
    You have to be 13 years old my parents also split and i lived with my dad, i dint want to and my mom kept taking him tho court and the court said when i turn 13 i get to choose, and when i turned 13 i choose to live with my mom

Where is this? I have NEVER heard of this before UNLESS both parents were in agreement. Then the child doesn't decide - the parents agree and the Court agrees and that's what happens.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 11:54 AM
    You have to be 13 years old my parents also split and i lived with my dad, i dint want to and my mom kept taking him tho court and the court said when i turn 13 i get to choose, and when i turned 13 i choose to live with my mom
    I would guess that under the law of wherever you are, you didn't have the right to make the decision, the judge simply chose to defer to your preference. There is a difference.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Can you provide a cite for that? As far as I know, in no US state can a child (under 18) make that decision.
    I would agree. Apparently the age of majority is at least 18 in all 50 states.

"Alabama 19 years,[37] Mississippi 21 years,[38] Nebraska 19 years or upon marriage[39], Pennsylvania 21 years[40])" Age of majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2012, 05:04 PM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. You clearly don't understand how the law works. I have no doubt the judge said something to you like this; When you reach 13 and you still want to move in with mom the court will agree. That is not the same as a 13 yr old getting to choose. And the judge may have told YOU that. Doesn't mean the next 13 yr old gets the same deal.

So please be careful when answering questions in the law forums. If you don't understand what the law actually is, you can wind up giving bad advice like you did here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parents divorced.live with mom.She has no will.If she died,can I choose where to go [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 13.My parents are divorced.My mom has full custody of me.She does not have a Will written out yet.If she dies while I'm still 13 or even 14 can I choose where I live or do I have to go with my father?

I'm 14 and I want to live with my mom and not my dad what do I do I live in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how old I have to be to choose what parent I want to live with in the state of Ohio

Can I choose if I want to live with mom or dad at the age of 16 [ 17 Answers ]

I am 16 and I use to live with my mom put I moved in with my dad for not long at all. Well some how he got custody of me he said it was so I could start school but he and his lawyer tricked me into but my name on some paper. So know he is saying her has custody of me but my mom never went to court...

Can my boys choose to live with me? I am the dad [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a very involved dad to my boys 9 and 6, they both would rather live with me and I would love to have them. Can I realistically win in court if their mother doesn't care what they want?

Live with mom- want to live with dad across country [ 3 Answers ]

I live with my mom with my 3 siblings. She has full custody. My dad is getting married and moving to California. I want to go with him. He knows that and says its OK if my mom says its OK. If my mom says no, what happens? Do I go to court? Do I easily loose if I don't have a ligitiment reason to...

View more questions Search