Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stinky2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 05:22 AM
    What causes methane gas smell in bathroom?
    I have methane gas smell in my bathroom. What is causing it? WE have flushed the toilet and then filled the sink trap with water:confused:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:20 AM

Hi, stinky2009!

In what part of your home is the bathroom located please? Also, is there any type of floor drain in the bathroom?

I'm asking about location and a drain because I have a similar problem with a bathroom that's in my basement.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2009, 06:49 AM
    The first thing I would do is sniff around the drains to nake sure the smell didn't come from there. If they didn't smell anything the next step would be to pull the toilet, clean up the old wax seal and reinstall the toilet with a new wax seal. Good luck, Tom
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:51 AM

If the smell is coming from a drain, like one in the floor, what would that mean, Tom?

Thanks!
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jul 13, 2009, 06:54 AM
    I'm not a plumber, but my limited plumbing knowledge would say the most likely cause would be the wax seal is bad at the toilet flange. However, it could be that you have a clogged vent and when you flush or use other sinks, etc, it's siphoning down the water level in the trap(s) in the room. Start by cleaning the base of the toilet and the floor around it really good and then taping around the toilet to create a seal. The trap for the toilet is the water you see in the bowl and the wax ring seals the bowl to the drain pipe to prevent sewer gasses from escaping. If the methane smell goes away, it's the wax ring. If you flush the toilet a few times and you shine a flashlight into the traps and see the water level has gone down from being siphoned out, it's a clogged vent.

For the wax ring, replace the seal. The flange should be set so that it's about 1/4" above the finished height of the floor. Flange extenders, double wax rings, etc, are options to correct a flange set too low. The toilet should be caulked around the base when set. Did this gas smell problem start after a recent toilet plunging?

If it's the vent that's clogged, you can snake it out.

THere's a few plumbers here to give some more insight.

Hey Speedball, the "Scales above" have disappeared from your posts. FYI
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Hey Speedball, the "Scales above" have disappeared from your posts. FYI
    That's OK Jack! I've been around so long that greenies don't mean anything anymore. Most of us older guys don't care. I like the comments and feedback but as far as I'm concerned they can do away with the "box scores" entirely. Regards, tom
    stinky2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 07:55 AM
    There is no drain in the floor and the bathroom is on the first fllor. I have a full bath on 2nd floor. I had a plumber look at it and he suggested having the vent checked. If that is clear then I'm going to have the wax seal replaced
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    If the smell is coming from a drain, like one in the floor, what would that mean, Tom?

Thanks!
    I would think the trap seal has evaporated allowing sewer gas to escape. If the floor drain isn't used why not fill the trap with anti-freeze or motor oil and forget it? Regards, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

Thanks!
    If you get sewer gas out of a drain that would indicate the trap seal has been lowered to the point of allowing sewer gas to escape. Cheers, Tom
    homemedic Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 09:29 AM
    This may not be the problem... But not enough water in the toilet bowl will leave a vent path for gases vapors for the septic tank or sewer system to enter the house. To ensure the toilet bowl is getting the proper amount of water check that the small tubing hose in side the toilet tank is in the tank overflow.(small open pipe above the normal water level). This hose send a side stream of water to the bowl through the tank overflow to ensure adequate amount of water to prevent this problem... Home Medic
    kimmathy Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Just put water down the drain and there you go it's fixed!! Water just evaporate that's all
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
    Hi homemed, You're three years late with your excellent answer. Check the date before you post. PS** This could also be a ruptured wax seal. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in bathroom that won't go away [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry if this is vague but I am frustrated. I have a 2 story 4 year old tract home in Chandler, AZ. Builder is Taylor Woodrow. It has 3 1/2 bathrooms. One of the upstairs full baths, which is on the east side of the house, has had a strange odor in it for the past few weeks. It really only gets...

Methane smell in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a home with a finished basement. When we had the home inspected, we noticed a methane smell coming from the laundry room. As part of the inspection report, we asked that the sellers determine the cause of the smell and take care of it. When we did the walk through, we...

My bathroom smells like methane gas [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, My bathroom smells like methane gas. :( It just started today but it is very strong and I have no idea what to do. We checked the vent and ran water down the drains. Please if anyone has any advise for me that would be great. Kayte

Methane/sulfur smell near shower [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased our house about a year ago and since we have moved in we have had a sulfur "rotten egg" smell in the shower of one bathroom. All other areas are fine. We turned up the hot water heater temperature and that helped although it is still there. In the last few weeks I have noticed...

Methane Smell in Shower [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom smells like methane almost all the time now and I finally realized it is coming from the shower, not the toilet where I originally thought it was coming from. Our downstairs shower smells the same methane smell just a little from time to time, but our apartment next door (that we rent)...

View more questions Search