Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandi2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Child has not seen father in over 2 years. Can the father still get partial custody?
    I have a 2 1/2 yr old son. The father has never tried to be in contact and has never seen my son. If I was to go for child support and the DNA proves that it is his son, which it will. Will the father then be able to get partial custody if he wanted to?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 05:11 PM

As the father, he has the right to visitation, and possibly custody as well as the obligation to provide support. This is up to a court to decide. You can point out that he has made no effort to see the child, but if there was a question of paternity, he could possibly defend this.

However, the courts tend to feel that a child has a right to support from both parents, so if you know the father and don't make an effort to get him involved with, and supporting the child, this won't be considered a sign of good parenting on your part.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2011, 05:50 PM

Did the father know this is his child? Have you made any attempts to involve him in his son's life?

Yes the father has rights. If he decides to enforce his rights he will, in all likelihood, get them. How much he gets may depend on the answers to my questions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 05:55 PM

If he has not had any contact and knew this was his son, odds are they will not let him have ( at least at this point) more than normal visits, perhaps every other weekend and one evening a week. But of course if he can show he did not know he was the father ( or did not believe it) and perhaps in a few years even come back, he does have the right to ask for joint custody,

But he has those rights even if you don't file for support,
    kayla5467 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

May 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Hi I am in your same situation except I am getting c/s for my 2 year old.At first I was afraid to because he threatened to go for custody if I sued him for c/s.But, I knew I would need the money as a single mom,and that there is no way I was going to let him get off scotch free and never help take care of the child he helped create.So I went for custody and he paid.We haven't spoken in over a year.He doesn't call ever,send birthday gift,cards,letters nothing.Child support is all I get from him and all I will probably ever get from him.And guess what,it took them about 6 months to get me a hearing so I say file now.You have to remember that deadbeats want you to go off somewhere and not get any money from them.

They don't want to see you,the child or give you any of their money.So don't give him what he wants.If he wasn't interested in seeing your child for 21/2 years then he's probably not interested in seeing your child now.You can always move too,so that way if he ever did want to get visitation he'd have to buy a plane ticket,get hotel and everything else.Just don't be the lady who finds out that her child's father just won the lottery yet her child is 18 already so she can't file.Or in the time that you weren't filing he won the lottery and used all the money.Its happen to people before.p.s the less money you get from him the more he has to save up for a lawyer if he ever did want to take you to court for custody.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kayla5467 View Post
    They don't want to see you,the child or give you any of their money.So don't give him what he wants.If he wasn't interested in seeing your child for 21/2 years then he's probably not interested in seeing your child now.You can always move too,so that way if he ever did want to get visitation he'd have to buy a plane ticket,get hotel and everything else..
    People change and fathers who didn't want to deal with an infant often decide they want to be a part of the child's life when they get a little older. Also some fathers fell that if they are paying support they might as well get their money's worth.

And just up and moving is not an easy thing to do. Especially for single mothers who may need a support structure like parents. Please be more realistic in the advice you give.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father who hasn't been around for almost 2 years wants sole custody of child [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering how a father who has been out of a child's life for almost 2 years can go to court and file a case to get sole custody of a child? My child's father hasn't been in her life for almost 2 years now and just recently filed a motion to take me back to court for sole custody of her and...

Father seeking Primary Custody after 10 years [ 1 Answers ]

I have had primary custody of my daughter for 10 years. At the time of my divorce, we did not establish a court order custody arrangement. Since inception, I have had my daughter 75% of the time. Everything has been fine with this arrangement as my ex-husband has a job which does not enable him to...

Child age 15 does not want to return home and bio father wants custody after 13 years [ 2 Answers ]

Please someone help us. We have a child that is 15 living with us he does not want to return back to moms house nor does he want to live with his bio father or family on that side. He has not seen nor heard anything from them in the past 13 years. Now that my husband and I had to file for support...

Father wants Joint Custody after 12 years [ 2 Answers ]

I joined this group in hope to find out what the chances are that my sons father will receive Joint custody. I am pretty sure he is going for 50% of the time. Some history of my situation~ My son 12 yrs old was born out of wedlock we stayed together for about 1 1/2 years, after that we went...

View more questions Search