Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xia0000s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
    How to evict a tenant from the previous owner after closing on a house?
    We are trying to buy a shortsale house in Florida which is currently occupied by a tenant and her 6-yr old son. The tenant does not have a lease with the current owner. We are trying to get her move out before the closing date, but doesn't seem promising. She claimed she has no money to move out.

We really like the house and would like to close within two weeks. If the tenant will not move out before the closing date, how difficult it is to evict her afterwards? What is the procedure? What would be her category, tenant or squatter or what? How long will the eviction take? And How much will it cost?

Thanks!
    potbunny Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

May 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Well you could take her to court to get an eviction but she could not show up. It would be a hassle. Here is what I suggest, have the owner give her a 24 hour notice that he will be doing some renovtions on his house the next day and needs to get in. this gives him legal right to be in the house. If she doesn't answer the door use the key. Once inside tell her that he neds to do some electrical socket repair, have him drill through the wall above an electrical socket and drill the wiring, thus making unsafe to live in the house. Have him cut a small square of drywall around where he drilled and pull out the insulation around the wire. Tell her she needs to move out immediately because there is a strong electrical fire risk.from there it is easy she will ave to move out since it could pose a risk to her kid and if she doesn't call child safety services . They will get her out. From there it is a fifteen dollar fix. A little drastic but it works wonderfully especially if the tenant has a kid!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by potbunny View Post
    Well u could take her to court to get an eviction but she could not show up. it would be a hassle. here is what i suggest, have the owner give her a 24 hour notice that he will be doing some renovtions on his house the next day and needs to get in. this gives him legal right to be in the house. if she doesnt answer the door use the key. once inside tell her that he neds to do some electrical socket repair, have him drill through the wall above an electrical socket and drill the wiring, thus making unsafe to live in the house. have him cut a small square of drywall around where he drilled and pull out the insulation around the wire. tell her she needs to move out immediatley because there is a strong electrical fire risk.from there it is easy she will hut it works wonderfully especially if the tenant has a kid!ave to move out since it could pose a risk to her kid and if she doesnt call child safety services . they will get her out. from there it is a fifteen dollar fix. a little drastic b
    Do this, and face a lawsuit for wrongful ouster!

No. You will have to give her notice to move out within the period provided by statute in your jurisdiction (15 days in Florida). It is doubtful that you can do this until you have closed on the sale and are actually the owner. If she fails to do move after having received due notice, you will then have to take her to court for eviction.

Fortunately for you, it is a short sale and not a foreclosure. Had it been a foreclosure, you would have had to give her a 90 day notice (if she didn't have a lease).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
    I think AK mean a foreclosure rather than an eviction.

And I agree that potbunny's advice would constitute an illegal eviction.

What has been done to get her out? If she does not have a lease, the current owner can give her a 14 date vacate notice. If she doesn't vacate, then he goes to court for an eviction order. With luck she should be out within 4-6 weeks. If you wait until after closing, then you have to start from then. Better to make sure she knows you are serious and will evict her if necessary.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think AK mean a foreclosure rather than an eviction. ...
    Yes. I did. Thanks.

I have corrected the previous post by underlining the corrections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find previous tenant for info on experience with owner issues [ 0 Answers ]

I am renting the lower level of a house, that is separated only by a door, but I am held 100% responsible for heating and providing electricity for the entire house. The owner had me put the utilities in my name, since it is their 2nd home and I would be the one living there year round. I am...

How to evict the previous owner after purchasing [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home in houston, Title gave me legal deed and possession and key based on contract. Old owner who sold home and got paid asked me 7 days to move out, I gave him 7 days oraly, but after 15 days passed he is still there and he is asking another 30 days. I need my home to live as soon as...

Can a owner evict a disabled Sec 8 tenant without cause? [ 4 Answers ]

I am disabled on Section 8, and the owner has become non-coorperative. Can I be evicted without cause? The owner won't make needed repairs to the apartment. Has consistently complained that HUD will not increase payments, and that I have to go.

Legal advice on real estate on how to evict a previous owner of a short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I'm buying a short sale condo. The previous owner has to leans on the place. We finally agreed to the sale but the 2nd wanted a two week escrow. We got them to give an extenstion for the escrow until the end of the month. They sent a letter to the owner stating the 15th of the month. Now the owner...

How to evict previous owner from short-sale house purchase! [ 4 Answers ]

I am purchasing a home in Sacramento through a short-sale. The bank has sold us the house but the previous owners have stated that they cannot get out by the closing date. What are my options? Thank you!:(

View more questions Search