Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mblond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 09:04 AM
    401k withdrawl after 59 1/2
    What do you pay in taxes when you start to withdraw funds from your 401k after 59 1/2 if you have no other income?

Also, how much are you required to withdraw from your 401k after 59 1/2?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 09:17 AM
    The amount of taxes will depend on your tax bracket and how much you take out. Whatever you withdraw is considered to be ordinary income (just like wages). So your tax rate will depend on your personal situation. You can look up the tax rates for various income brackets here:

2007 Federal Tax Rate Schedules

These federal tax brackets are for 2007, and will change a bit due to inflation for 2008, but not by too much. Also, don't forget that if you are subject to state or local income tax you will have to pay that as well.

You are not required to withdraw anything from your 401(k) until April 1 of the calendar year after you reach age 70-1/2. From that point on you are required to withdraw a certain amount each year, depending on life expectancy.
    mlpem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Can I withdraw money after 59 1/2 without retiring?
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlpem View Post
    Can I withdraw money after 59 1/2 without retiring?
    Depends on the rules for your company's plan. Some plans allow in-service withdrawals by employees age 59-1/2 or plder, but many do not. To learn the rules of your plan you can either ask someone in your company's benefits department or contact the plan administrator.
    McKeene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
    If you begin to withdraw from a 401k at age 60, say, is there some rule that requires you to continue to withdraw a certain amount from that fund thereafter? Seems I heard that somewhere. Is that just for 70 1/2 ?
    Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeene View Post
    If you begin to withdraw from a 401k at age 60, say, is there some rule that requires you to continue to withdraw a certain amount from that fund thereafter? Seems I heard that somewhere. Is that just for 70 1/2 ?
    No, there is no such rule for someone who is 60. Once you reach age 70-1/2 then there is a mandatory minimum distribution you must take each year - but prior to that there are no required distributions. For people under 70-1/2 if you decide to take a withdrawal there is no requirement to continue taking withdrawals in subsequent years.
    mags1121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Are 401K withdrawals after age 59 1/2 subject to STATE taxes?
    Expert

Apr 3, 2013, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mags1121 View Post
    are 401K withdrawls after age 59 1/2 subject to STATE taxes?
    Depends on the state. For most states, yes, 401(k) distribuitions are subject to state income taxes (as well as federal income taxes, of course). But some states exempt all or part of your 401(k) retirement account from state income tax. Tell us what state you live and/or work in and we can tell you the tax consequences.
    taylwha66 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 02:31 PM
    I Live In Georgia , City of Powder Springs in Cobb County
    taylwha66 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2013, 02:33 PM
    I Live In Georgia , City of Powder Springs in Cobb County
    Expert

Jun 14, 2013, 05:50 AM
    For GA income tax if you are over 65 year of age up to $65K in retirement income is exempted ($35K if you are between ages 62-64).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

My husband took out his 401k early because he no longer works there. We are trying to understand the rules for taxes. It seems that is you took out the early due to no longer employed, the 10% tax penalty is waved. There were taxes withheld on the 1099-r. is this correct or not Shannon

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had his 401k accidentally mailed to our Georgia address. He was a legal resident of Tennessee at the time. I mailed the check to his TN address. No Georgia state taxes were taken out. He became a legal resident of TN on January 30th, 2006. Will he have to claim full, partial or none...

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a time frame in which my previous employer has to deliver my 401k withdrawl to me once I have requested it from him? It seems to be dragging on way too long. What legal action can I take?

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have to withdraw from my 401K in order to make a down payment on a house. I am also in the military and will be deploying to Iraq shortly. Question: If I cash in the 401K when I am in a tax free status (Iraq), will I still be taxed the 20% or just pay the 10% penalty?

View more questions Search