Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jam1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 09:41 PM
    How to install new breaker box-upgrade from 100 to 200 amp
    I have done a bit of electrical work installing lighting and outlets and running new service to new appliances. I need to upgrade an old electrical breaker box from 100 amp to 200 amp. I want to know where I can find the specifics of the procedure so I can determine if I can do it myself seeing as how electricians are too expensive for me. For example do electricians simply call the power company and have the power supply shut off to the house or do they use special tools and or skill in removing and hook up the utility hot wires to the new box? Can anyone recommend a good book on this and or say something more about the procedure?
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2008, 09:51 AM
    In a lot of communities if you involve the power company, you'll have to get a permit before they'll pull the meter, then you've opened a can of worms whenever you involve city or county inspectors (but its also the safest way) . Call the power company to see if that's the case. I've only done a few panel change outs in homes I've rehabbed, and have NEVER tried to do it "hot". Either pulled meter myself or had power company do it depending on situation. Though I never had to read up on procedure, most books I have seen pretty much all say the same thing. Not a lot of different ways to do it. Plus a ton of info on the web. You'll probably also have to change the meter socket box to accommodate 200amp service which means cutting power off before meter, either at pole(power co. must do) or at weatherhead where wires are spliced together at house (wouldn't recommend this unless your real comfortable with working with high voltage unfused power). Could be very dangerous. Don't know if any of this helps.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
    how electricians are too expensive for me.
    What's considered too expensive? Example: $1000

Jam,

Check with your local authority. It may be that you are not allowed to do your own electrical work.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
    You will probably need new service entrance cable for larger amperage. It probably varies with different jurisdictions and power companies, but mine had to be coordinated with power company and they will only hook up to work done by a licensed electrician.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
    A service upgrade is just that, the WHOLE service, NOT just the panel.
    This is everything from the connections at the top of the house/mast, down to a new meter pan, down into the panel, the panel itself, and all grounding/bonding.

This is NOT a job for a novice, be them a DIY'er or professional.

You will NOT have to work "live" or hot. To suggest this, even as a possibility, for a DIY'er is just plain silly.

ALL POCO's have procedures you MUST follow. Get in touch with them and find out what the procedures are for your area. That will be more helpful than anything we can tell you at this point.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 13, 2008, 03:51 PM
    This is NOT a job for a novice, be them a DIY'er
    I agree 100%!
    ninaxena Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
    Hello all,

My husband and I are building a house (very small, about 700 square feet). Power is not set up for our property yet, so none of this would be a problem, but we are doing all of the work ourselves because our budget is extremely low. We are installing all used appliances etc. My question is: Does anyone have a good resource for planning, and installing the wiring in our house ourselves? We have to go through inspection before the power company puts in the meter, but we don't have a lot of power needs, but the electricians in the area want upwards of $5000 to do the work, and us to pay for the materials. We don't have that kind of money to throw around (which is why we're building ourselves.) Any suggestions would be great.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 19, 2012, 03:17 AM
    There are several How To books available, you can find some at the big hardware stores.

Also here:

Amazon.com: Complete Wiring (Stanley Complete) (9780696237102): Stanley: Books

The Black & Decker Complete Guide to Home Wiring: Including Information on Home Electronics & Wireless Technology, Revised Edition: Editors Of Creative Publishing: 9781589232136: Amazon.com: Books

And you may review the NFPA 70 National Electric Code online here: NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ

You will need to know which edition of the Code is adopted in your state.

The NEC is NOT a design, How To or instruction book. Once you review this book, you may understand why electricians seem to charge so much.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 19, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Wiring a whole home, no matter how small, is no project for someone with little experience, let alone no experience.

My suggestion is to get a few more quotes. $5000 with you buying material is outrageous, even in a place like California.
    First off, no self respecting professional electrician would have you buy the material. I get the impression that you are/were dealing with sidejobbers or some kind of all-in-one contractor who knows just enough to be dangerous.
    Second, that price seems about right in many places for everything being done. Complete, service and all.
    If the place is extremely modest I bet you could get away for even less.

I will say, I hardly consider $5grand to have your home wired properly is "throwing money around".

I understand that you are on an extremely low budget (although I don't get building a house with no money or experience), but cutting corners and taking risks in things like the electrical system in your home is never sound thinking.
    A house is a LONG term investment, don't risk problems a few years down the road just because you cut corners today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install an A are C breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the breaker having a dead short and have exhausted the possibility of possible problems. Help!

How to upgrade 2 30amp sub fuse box to Ciruit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this my first time posting on this site... I have up on the second floor a 2 30amp fuse sub panel that control 60% of the electrical on the apartment. How do I convert the fuse box to a Ciruit Box? Can I do it myself or should I hired an license electrician and how much will it cost? Thanks...

Install 240 circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I just install circuit breaker 240 v ,but when I use the meter it can only read 120 v on each pole when I check both pole I don't see any thing in the meter,:eek: why is this happen Thanks

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

Need to upgrade circuit breaker from 20A to 30A [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with my heat pump unit. I live in a new house, and it worked fine for the first two years I've lived there. Lately, the circuit breaker to the outside unit has started tripping regularly during periods of extended use (i.e. hot in summer, cold in winter). I've had an...

View more questions Search