Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    99percentgood Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
    Had one drink 18 hours prior to EtG test... Will I pass?
    Very active fit female, 5'9 160 lbs, first EtG test. Through some feat of absolute socially-induced stupidity, had a bit more than half of my friend's mojito with Mexican food the night before the test.

I assume it was approximately one 1 oz shot of rum consumed about 18 - 19 hours prior to test sample time.

Any idea if I will test positive? Extremely anxious! Test results will be available next week, and I'm just worried sick about it!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2012, 12:05 AM
    You are presenting an interesting question. The outer edge of detection for EtG based on 1 drink. It's interesting because you consumed with a meal.

Did you drink 1 oz of rum or was that the total amount in the drink? The alcohol content is very important as EtG is produced in proportion to amount of alcohol metabolized.

Do you know the cutoff level of the test that you took? It would probably be either 100 or 500 ng.

May 17, 2012, 06:25 AM
    I am not sure of the cut-off value for the test, but the website for the lab company says 250 ng/mL with quantitation, 100ng/mL and 500ng/mL available. Upon further reading, the testing lab suggests that 250 ng/mL may be appropriate for situations that enforce limitations (and theoretically reduce positives produced by "incidental" exposure to products that contain alcohol but are not considered alcoholic beverages.)

May 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    You are presenting an interesting question. The outer edge of detection for EtG based on 1 drink. It's interesting because you consumed with a meal.

Did you drink 1 oz of rum or was that the total amount in the drink? The alcohol content is very important as EtG is produced in proportion to amount of alcohol metabolized.

Do you know the cutoff level of the test that you took? It would probably be either 100 or 500 ng.
    The beverage was served at a restaurant, and I believe that it was one standard "single" drink (guessing that the alcohol contained = 1 oz rum, which is mixed into the 6 oz cocktail).
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2012, 08:33 AM
    The average clearance time for EtG after 1 drink is between 13-18.6 hours. But a mixed drink is always questionable. Usually contains 1 shot (oz) and that is .66 of a standard drink (US). Plus you were eating and that means that more of the alcohol content was metabolized in your stomach.

All of the research for low alcohol intake has used fasted subjects.

The following influence results. How much alcohol was in the drink - how much of that amount you consumed - the cutoff used for the test.

I wish I could calculate this closer but that's not possible. Did figure in relation to body weight but the closest that brings is under 24 hours.

You do have a chance of passing... it's a flip of the coin.

It's so interesting because you were eating (never tested) and this test is promoted as "detecting small amounts of alcohol for up to 120 hours." It does not... 1 drink always under 24 hours.

If you can provide any further information I will add it in but it's safe to say you are at the edge of critical time line.

There are two other factors that could be important: 1) did you drink any fluids after the alcohol and before the test, 2) did you urinate between the consumption and the test. In other words you didn't provide first void of the day as the sample.

Please let us know the results. I put a sticky note on my computer.

May 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Thank you for the information. I am training for endurance sports (1-3 hours of vigorous endurance exercise 4-5 days per week), and I am drinking a great deal of fluids and eating frequently to support my training. I tend to pass large volumes off clear yellow urine at least once every 1-2 hours, so I am sure I voided my bladder at least 4 or 5 times prior to providing urine sample for test.

I will keep you posted of the results.

(Ugh, mentally kicking myself again for choosing to take that drink!. so NOT worth it just to "be social"... )
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Any fluid intake, especially after 5 hours following the drink will help.

It's wise never to challenge the limits of this test. You must be careful of even inhaling or using alcohol containing products in proximity to time of test (about 12 hours)

NOTICE: Any person or entity that is subjected to or relies on EtG testing should read this Advisory issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services, September 2006 and remains in effect as of date of this posting. Copy available here > US DHHS Advisory

May 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
    I am soooo relieved to report that I got a PASS result! Thank you for the information and interest in my situation. I have been humbled and scared into sticking to the zero-alcohol requirement from here on out! I consider myself 'schooled'!

karli40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2013, 10:38 PM
    Will I pass an ETG test after having 3 light beers over 3 hours, while drinking water. I just found out I have a test aprox 26 hors after my last drink. I ran, sweated a lot, drank tons of water, took vitamins, and drank cider vinegar. Please help! Thx!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I pass an EtG test after 60 hours from my last drink. [ 22 Answers ]

I drank a 16oz can of bud-light then a 8oz can sparks on Friday night from 10pm-12:30am (Saturday morning) I had to take the test Monday at 2pm. I am 25 year old male 120 pounds. I am in great shape and have a high metabolism. I worked all weekend, drank a bunch of red-bull and ran 5miles Saturday...

Will I pass an EtG test 44 hrs after last drink,I had 2 beers and the night prior 9 [ 19 Answers ]

At around 9 maybe 10 pm the first night started drinking till around midnight and stopped went home slept it off then the next day consumed 2 beers at my cousins and stopped at around 6pm I then had a drug test Tuesday at 2pm I am wondering if I will be OK for the EtG cutoff,I drank tons of water...

DRBill100, should I pass EtG test 84 hours after last drink? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the test at 11 am on Wednesday, and I drank 1 bottle of wine (pinot grigio, 750ml 13.5% alc) on Saturday taking my last sip around 11:30pm. I am 40 years old and 160 pounds. Should I pass the test? Is there anything I can do to better my chances? If you can please answer Dr. Bill I would...

DrBill100, can I pass an EtG test 66 hours after last drink? [ 24 Answers ]

I tested exactly 66 hours and 30 minutes after finishing my last drink. I urinated about 20 minutes prior to taking the test, in order to completely clear my bladder one last time before testing. I drank approximately 20 drinks between 11 am and 9:30 pm. Never got drunk, just maintained a...

It'll be around 112 hours since my last drink before I take my EtG test, will I pass? [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry, I am paranoid... I know I'm not suppose to drink but I couldn't help it. Last Saturday, had around 7 shots... and 3 mix drinks... and stopped on Sunday around 2am... I have a EtG test on Thursday (tomorrow) at 6pm. I know EtG only detects 80 hours... but I just need some reassurance from you...

View more questions Search