Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedsister90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
    How can I get custody of my little sister?
    I am 21 years old and recently married. My sister is 14 years old. She is currently living with my mom and stepdad. Her real father gave up rights when she was 8 years old and my stepdad adopted her. My mom has an alcohol and drug problem. My stepdad has no clue about it because my mom covers her tracks really good. She has been this way for years and anytime I have mentioned it to my stepdad he calls me a liar. My mom treats my sister as if she is her maid and she cusses her and tells her she isn't good enough and will never amount to anything and just causes her a lot of mental abuse. As far as I know she hasn't physically put her hands on her. But my mom will call me and my husband and ask for money but then she complains and says that she doesn't have the money to pay the bills. She keeps a notebook that has everything she has ever bought my sister wrote down and says that when she turns 18 she has to pay her back for everything. She offers drugs and alcohol to my sisters friends and they are all between the ages of 14 and 16. She did the same thing to me when I was my sister's age the only difference is that she physically put her hands on me and she traded me to her drug dealer when I was 16 and I was raped so she could get her drugs. My dad finally got custody of me and things got better but I will always have to deal with the memories. I am very concerned and I am terrified that the same things will happen to my sister. She begs me constantly to help her and she wants to come live with me and my husband. I just don't know what to do or where to start. I'm at a loss. Please help! Any advice would be more than appreciated!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
    If her mom is doing this with her and her friends then you have a case to have your sister removed from that situation. You might want to make an advance call to your local CPS (Child Protection Agency) or whatever they are called in your area and ask them about how to get custody after she is removed. Your stepdad sounds like he's lost at this time. So it is up to you to be the adult here and make it happen. I applaud you for being brave and recognizing the situation and stepping in to do something about it.
    NatalieLewis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
    Me and my soon to be husband are trying to get custody of his 10 year old sister. His mother and step father passed away a while ago but his aunt has taken care of him his brother and two sister since his mother passed away. His aunt is only using them for money from the government and treats her really bad. Is there any way that we can get custody of her?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NatalieLewis View Post
    Me and my soon to be husband are trying to get custody of his 10 year old sister. His mother and step father passed away a while ago but his aunt has taken care of him his brother and two sister since his mother passed away. His aunt is only using them for money from the government and treats her really bad. Is there any way that we can get custody of her?
    You might be able to apply for guardianship. Then later after maried for a years time then you can apply for adoption or permanent placement as this situation is complicated by the fact of being brother and sister.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my sister to get custody over me? [ 6 Answers ]

I am very unhappy and stressed in my home. I hate it here. My dad is yelling at me almost daily, I have been grounded for five months because of a boy, and I feel like my dad is mentally and emotionally abusing me. People argue with that, but I feel attack emotionally. I don't have a mom, she...

Get custody of my sister? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to get custody my 16yr old sister. Our mother has lost her job, losing her car and her house. Separated from my alcoholic father. He is going to jail and is also losing his house. My husband and I want to help her. Take her in, get her enrolled in school here, get her a job and get her going...

Custody of my sister? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 18 yrs old and I was adopted at the age of 15 along with my 2 sisters and 1 brother. My brother is soon going to be 18 and my sisters still have about 5 years to go. I would like to gain custody of them, but I am not sure if I am able to with them being adopted. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?!

How do I get Custody of my little sister [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help. I live with my mother and my dad got into some trouble and lost custody of my little sister to his soon to be ex wife. She is not my little sisters real mother and they live in South Carolina while I live in California. He won't come back to California until he has custody of her....

Getting custody of my little sister [ 1 Answers ]

My Ex step father (my sister's dad) and our mother are divorced. Her dad is not supporting her well being..she's in serious need of medical attention among many other problems. She's not getting treatment, support, clothing, food, etc. like she should be. My brother and sister in law as well as...

View more questions Search