Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwalton75 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
    Ceiling fan light doesn't work; fan only goes one speed
    Hi, I'm looking for help w/new ceiling fan. There is a double switch on 1 wall where 1 switch turns on fan; 1 turns on light. On the other wall there is 1 switch and it only turns on the light of the ceiling fan. Took down old fan. It had ground, white, black, & blue wires. It was wired ground to ground, white to white, black to black, and blue to red. New fan had no blue wire but had black & white striped wire, so I hooked it up ground to ground, white to white, black to black, and black & white stripe to red. Now when I use the switches, the fan only turns one speed and the light doesn't come on. I have tried the chains to be sure it wasn't switched off and to try changing speeds on fan. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
    That Black with white is your lights wire and needs to be connected to red, NOT Ground.

May 13, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    That Black with white is your lights wire and needs to be connected to red, NOT Ground.
    Yes, it is. Green is to green, white is to white, black is to black, and black w/white stripe is to red. That's why I cannot understand why it doesn't work. Thanks.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Sorry, misread.
    I would be sure the light Kit is connected in the lower compartment.
    As far as the Fan Speed, be sure the reverse switch is not in the middle.
    Does the fan speed switch "Click" when pulled?

May 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Sorry, misread.
    I would be sure the light Kit is connected in the lower compartment.
    As far as the Fan Speed, be sure the reverse switch is not in the middle.
    Does the fan speed switch "Click" when pulled?
    I replaced a friend's so it isn't right here for me to look at & I'll have to look at it next weekend. It is a Hunter fan and it just has a one way "plug" for the lower compartment... can't plug it in wrong and it was tight when I put it up. As far as the fan speed switch, I didn't know any of them could be in the middle so that's something to look at. The fan speed switch does click when pulled... checked that. Plan to take it down and look at it on the 20th. Will let you know outcome. Thanks for the help.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
    I wouldn't rush to take it down,
    NOT the Fan speed switch, but the DIRECTION switch(Up or Down Draft), verify not in the middle.
    The black white wire goes directly from the top down to that connector, verify neutral connection.
    You may have a bad switch not allowing poer on the red wire to the light.
    You could hook the bk/w with the black so both should come on together on the known good switch.

May 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Ok, so I'll check that connection. Good suggestion. I was on the same page with you here because I was going to hook them up as you say just to test it. Will let you know what I find out, if for nothing but your entertainment!
    Thanks.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
    You're good.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2012, 05:06 AM
    You should have a wiring diagram with that fan, but if not here is what you need: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Hunt...structions.pdf
    Follow those instructions and you should have no problem.

May 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Yes, actually this is mine:

http://www.hunterfan.com/uploadedFiles/Support/Owners_Manuals_and_Parts_Guide/42439.pdf

Page 9, Step 4-5 for dual switch is what I have done.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
    Did you get it?

May 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
    No, I haven't been back up there to look at it yet but the previous poster was suggesting a wiring diagram. The link I provided is the exact one that came with the fan and the way I hooked it up. I have the black & white stripe wire to the red one. Oh, by the way, had my friend check her fan and the directional switch is not in the middle position. It's just bugging me but I won't get back up there until next Sunday, the 20th.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
    With Power/Switches off, you could swap the bk and bk/w with the red and black then see what you have.
    This will do nothing for speed, but will tell if switches and wiring to top good from both.
    The lights should work now(because the fan did and it is only 1 wire in canopy for this(bk/w))
    If it doesn't work and you are using known good bulbs, it is likely the plastic push in connector at light kit connection.

May 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Well as it turned out, the fan speed was apparently an issue with a broken wire. The pull chain comes out of a box and we noticed a soddered wire that had broken loose. Fixed it and the fan speeds worked fine. Hooked up the fan/light to just one switch and the light worked. Hooked it up every way possible to the second switch to no avail. For now, just put a wire nut on the wire to that second switch and left the unit hooked to one switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minka Ceiling Fan power to fan cuts on and off, light will work. [ 0 Answers ]

My Minka ceiling fan will start when turned on and work fine for 5 minutes then the power cuts off and the fan begins to shut off. Just as you think the fan is completely shut off it starts back up on its owns. It will continue to do this at different intervals, maybe it takes a couple minutes...

Remote control on ceiling fan works for lights but doesn't work on fan on/off, speed [ 3 Answers ]

Just installed a hampton bay ceiling fan with remote control.. the remote control works on the lights to turn them on and off but will not turn on/off fan or contol speed. What's wrong.

What causes my ceiling fan light ot blink on and off, the fan to be a single speed? [ 5 Answers ]

This fan has worked fine without any problem for years? Remote switch play a part?

Replaced ceiling fan light fixture, now fan won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ceiling fan. It was in the house when I bought it so I have no info on it. There are no tags or model #s on it. It is controlled by 2 separate wall mounted switches. One light dimmer and one fan speed controller. I wanted to update the light fixture on it so I removed it. Wiring...

Fan on ceiling fan with light does not work [ 4 Answers ]

We just installed a new ceiling fan with light and the fan does not work the light does but not fan

View more questions Search