Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

May 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
    How to evenly distribute cold air in our split-level house?
    We have a tri-level house where the middle (which is our living room) is the in-between level. When we turn on our A/C we find the downstairs to get pretty cold but the upstairs not so much. So, we've turned down the A/C further so it stays on and the upper level gets colder. We live in Southern California and we have pretty good sun exposure - especially the upper level (temps in the summer months can hit 100+). In the past we've closed the vents downstairs and had most of the air upstairs, but we were told not to do this from an AC expert that was there to look at something else. He said that we get good flow and that our A/C unit is performing well. BTW our thermostat is downstairs.

So, what can we do to get cold air both upstairs and downstairs? Should we not listen to this "expert" and close the downstairs vents or is he right and we need to find alternate solutions. Really, the idea of having the AC on longer is fine except that it gets pretty chilly downstairs and it's still only a little cooler upstairs so that is comformtable as well.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
    I would just keep closing the downstairs vents. As long as the unit is getting enough air flow to keep the evap coil from freezing, closing the downstairs vents won't create any issues. Also, I would suggest relocating the thermostat to to mid or upstairs level (mid would be ideal), but downstairs is fine, just have to learn to set it where it makes the rest of the home comfy. Over all, simply closing down the downstairs vents is the easiest solution. If it has worked in previous years, it will work for future years. Also, keeping blinds, shades, or curtains closed in the mid and upstairs portion of the home will help the cooling process overall. Even with the downstairs vents closed, the basement will stay cool, as cool air falls. Are there any return grills in the basement?
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

May 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
    Thanks for the reply - the bottom floor is not a basement - it's our kitchen, dining room and entrance area. As you mentioned, we were told not to close the downstairs' vents because of the coil freezing. But you think that's not an issue? How would we know if we are at risk for that happening?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
    Any time you start shuting off registers its bad on your system. The system has to move X amount of air (cfm) per ton. When you restrict air flow the amp draw on your compressor and blower motor jump costing you more money to operate and making the parts fail. Have you ever checked in to zoning?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
    T-Top. Zoning simply shuts down a portion of the ductwork which is basically the same as shutting down vents, yes? All depends on how the system and ductwork was sized, if there are enough supplies on the upper floors, shutting down a few on the lower floor won't make any real noticeable difference on the equiptment. Just need to make sure there is enough cfm across the evap coil with the lower vents closed. This is the reason supply registers have manual dampers in them, to evenly heat and cool areas, right? I agree you don't want to close down too many, but you can certainly close a few or at least shut them down enough to slow the flow, just make sure all the upper level vents are completely open.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain is gurgling in lower level of split level [ 1 Answers ]

Spent 14 hours removing toilet to run power auger into drain. No luck went about 35 ft. then the cable in the drum decided to twist on itself. When other water is drained it comes up through the hole in the floor(figure this is path of least resistance). Is it my vent from the roof or do I need to...

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house [ 5 Answers ]

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house from the attic through the cold air returns. I have 3 return airs on the one side of the house one in each bedroom and on in the hallway. This side of the house is at least 10 degrees colder and the furnace runs longs...

House not cooling evenly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3000 2 story sqft house with a 4 ton a/c one unit some parts of the house are cooling fine while others are not at all what do I do.

Distribute house at zero equity [ 4 Answers ]

My father left us 3 Properties . The Executor (my Stepmom) immediately put two of the properties on the market and they both sold right away. Against the advice of her attorneys, the executor (stepmom) planned to keep the third property for herself so she didn't put it on the market. Now,...

Furnace Heating : Cold air blowing from vent from one level/ Warm air in the other [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a 2 level house (1995), both levels heated by the same furnace ( YORK Multiposition Gas-Fired Furnace MODEL P2MP 32-112 MBH OUTPUT) . We have two digital thermostats (Hunter Programmable type) located on each floor. We were out for a few days and when we came back the lower level is getting...

View more questions Search