Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarona Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Washer Overflow
    We have a whirlpool washer that is 7 years old, and is used by a two person family.
    The washer works fine, except when you put 3 or more towels to be washed. No matter, if you dial on medium or large the water level. It over flows on the last rinse and spin cycle. This does not happen with any other type of clothes. No matter how large the water level. Except with towels only.
    Any suggestions.
    Thank You,
    Bill
    nankai Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
    It could be a transmission problem. We had the same problem with a GE washer, and the heavier loads like towels generally triggered it. What happens is the washer starts to spin instead of agitating during the wash or rinse cycle when it is full of water. The centrifugal force forces the water up and over the sides of the wash tub and causes it to leak all over the floor. We then found when moving the tub around manually that water remained underneath the tub, inside the machine, which you could hear. Not sure if that's what yours is doing, but just an idea to look at.

Mar 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nankai
    It could be a transmission problem. We had the same problem with a GE washer, and the heavier loads like towels generally triggered it. What happens is the washer starts to spin instead of agitating during the wash or rinse cycle when it is full of water. The centrifugal force forces the water up and over the sides of the wash tub and causes it to leak all over the floor. We then found when moving the tub around manually that water remained underneath the tub, inside the machine, which you could hear. Not sure if that's what yours is doing, but just an idea to look at.
    That sounds like the similar problem, as it does come up and over from the tub inside.
    What did you do to solve the problem, as one cannot stand by the machine when you are doingtowels?

Mar 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Thank you as that is what happens when you do 3 or more towels. The water does come over the tub and onto the water. Can this be fixed, or is it time for a new washer.
    Thanks
    StillaKid57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bmarona
    We have a whirlpool washer that is 7 years old, and is used by a two person family.
    The washer works fine, except when you put 3 or more towels to be washed. No matter, if you dial on medium or large the water level. It over flows on the last rinse and spin cycle. This does not happen with any other type of clothes. No matter how large the water level. Except with towels only.
    Any suggestions.
    Thank You,
    Bill
    Bill,
    There is a valve in some washers that may be sticking closed. During the spin, if the valve does not open the water will go over the top of the machine.I've had this happen before. Good luck,
    StillaKid57
    nankai Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 10:06 AM
    We are replacing the machine because although the part is covered by warranty, the labor isn't and was going to be over $200.00. If it is your transmission, although it could be fixed, with it being over 7 years old, I would imagine you would have to pay for parts and labor which would be quite costly. Hopefully, it is the other problem that the other person mentioned instead.

Mar 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StillaKid57
    Bill,
    There is a valve in some washers that may be sticking closed. During the spin, if the valve does not open the water will go over the top of the machine.I've had this happen before. Good luck,
    StillaKid57
    Can the valve be checked and replaced? Where would this type of valve be located in the washer.
    Thks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if our problem has to do with the washing machine or the plumbing. I tried reading other answers to similar questions on this forum, but not sure if the answers apply to our problem. We have been using the same washer in our basement for 7 years. It had an overflow problem at the...

Washer Drainage Overflow [ 6 Answers ]

My washer is located in my garage. I have a tri-level home and the garage is on the bottom level. I had an older washing machine (early 90's vintage). Every time I did a load of laundry, the washing machine would back up in to the drain in the garage floor. It didn't matter what size load. I...

Washer machine overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! It appears that the washer machine overflows when the water valve is turned on. The machine itself is not even running when this happens. The water overflow is dirty.We have to leave the water turned off to prevent further flooding. We are not currently living in this house. It is a...

Washer overflow [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My washing machine is overflowing from it's drain during the drain/rinse cycle. It also back flows thought the pipe and will partially fill the kitchen sink that is connected to the same drain line. The drain is 2" steel, and the house is about 50 old, a single story concrete slab and...

Unusual Washer Overflow [ 12 Answers ]

OK Im stumped. My washer is overflowing out of the drain pipe. I have snaked (30' worth) down the washer vent and down the sink vent. The unusual bit is it doesn't overflow all of the time. I can run 2 rinses in a row to try and make it overflow and it won't but my wife called today and said it...

View more questions Search