Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _rosie_posie_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
    How can I get my puppy to stop biting?
    I have a 7 week old Siberian Husky, Am Staff mix female. She bites A LOT, with her little razor sharp teethies.

I completely understand the fact that what she is doing is natural, she's teething and too young to really know she's doing anything wrong and really just thinks everything is a game. Believe me, I've read it all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had luck with dealing with biting at such a young age. My hands (not to mention, every other body part) will thank you. (And on another note, what about barking)
    babybear12345 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by _rosie_posie_ View Post
    I have a 7 week old Siberian Husky, Am Staff mix female. She bites A LOT, with her little razor sharp teethies.

I completely understand the fact that what she is doing is natural, she's teething and too young to really know she's doing anything wrong and really just thinks everything is a game. Believe me, I've read it all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had luck with dealing with biting at such a young age. My hands (not to mention, every other body part) will thank you. (And on another note, what about barking)
    Hey
    When my dog was a pup he was a nipper too. First of all try to occupy his teeth, like give him chew toys, but not rawhides, they're BAD. They can severely hurt your dog if he swallows a piece and cause internal bleeding. It happened to my friend, so yeah. Give him flavoured rubber bones.
    Anyway, when he does bite or nip, tell him NO and then take your dog by the scruff of his neck, which is the skin at the back of his neck under his ears, and flip him over. He will be wiggly but hold him down until he submits, or until he stops moving. When he submits let him go, get up and walk away. This will show him that you're boss and he doesn't bite you. You may have to do this several times before he stops, but it will get easier each time because you dog will see it's pointless to fight you. If you see your dog is about to bite you, touch him or tap him to snap him out of the biting frame of mind. Hope this helps, it helped me!! Now I have a dog that won't bite me or my family! good luck!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 5, 2012, 06:40 PM
    I don't like the idea of pinning a young dog. That's not something a novice pet owner should even try.

This problem won't be solved overnight. I have a 9 week old puppy at home right now, and I'm an experienced dog owner. It takes time.

The best advice I can give you is to do what his litter mates, or another dog, would do. When he bites, yelp. Make it loud, and as close to a the sound a dog makes. When you yelp, and he stops, and he will stop, then walk away. Ignore him.

Or, yelp, give him something else to chew on, and then walk away.

The point of this is to get him to stop (the yelp in doggy language means that you're hurt), walking away teaches him that if he bites, you won't play. Giving him something else to chew on teaches him what he's allowed to chew on, and what he's not allowed to chew on.

Most importantly, make sure he has plenty of puppy safe things to chew on. Ice cubes are okay too, and do help with teething, but make sure to supervise, as some puppies are a bit too anxious and can choke on them. Go to your pet store, find someone knowledgeable about puppies, and get some puppy appropriate teething chew toys.

Trust me, this stage won't last forever, and the earlier you start training that this isn't okay, the sooner you'll be nip free.

If you think those puppy teeth hurt when they're in the mouth, wait until they fall out and you step on one that's imbedded into your carpet. I still have nightmares about that. ;)

Good luck.
    web1894 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I don't like the idea of pinning a young dog. That's not something a novice pet owner should even try.

This problem won't be solved overnight. I have a 9 week old puppy at home right now, and I'm an experienced dog owner. It takes time.

The best advice I can give you is to do what his litter mates, or another dog, would do. When he bites, yelp. Make it loud, and as close to a the sound a dog makes. When you yelp, and he stops, and he will stop, then walk away. Ignore him.

Or, yelp, give him something else to chew on, and then walk away.

The point of this is to get him to stop (the yelp in doggy language means that you're hurt), walking away teaches him that if he bites, you won't play. Giving him something else to chew on teaches him what he's allowed to chew on, and what he's not allowed to chew on.

Most importantly, make sure he has plenty of puppy safe things to chew on. Ice cubes are okay too, and do help with teething, but make sure to supervise, as some puppies are a bit too anxious and can choke on them. Go to your pet store, find someone knowledgeable about puppies, and get some puppy appropriate teething chew toys.

Trust me, this stage won't last forever, and the earlier you start training that this isn't okay, the sooner you'll be nip free.

If you think those puppy teeth hurt when they're in the mouth, wait until they fall out and you step on one that's imbedded into your carpet. I still have nightmares about that. ;)

Good luck.
    Alty gives good advice! I also have a pup who is a nipper.. Its just play but sometimes she get carried away with it. I purchased a "NylaBone" from walmart for puppies. My pup likes it a lot we stick it in the fridge for about 15mins so it is cool on her teeth. I look at it like she's an infant.. Baby's teethe and we give them teething rings. Why not for pups too? I hope this helps out your situation. Dominance is important with a bigger dogs especially but I don't think that's your problem. I wouldn't start pin your dog (at all really) especially with it just being a teething issue. Here is a link to petsmart which is a similar bone I got for my little one! Also make sure you get the appropriate size I made that mistake. Saves the hassle of returning something! Best of luck to you and your new baby! Nylabone Puppy Bone
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Great advice Web, and I also learned something new. I honestly never thought about putting the chew toy into the fridge, that makes a lot of sense, and I'll be trying it on my 9 week old puppy today. :)
    web1894 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Great advice Web, and I also learned something new. I honestly never thought about putting the chew toy into the fridge, that makes a lot of sense, and I'll be trying it on my 9 week old puppy today. :)

Thanks Alty I hope it works well for you also!
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by web1894 View Post
    Thanks Alty I hope it works well for you also!
    And I hope you stick around. You're obviously intelligent, and have knowledge to share, so stick around, see if there are any other questions you can answer.

Also, we have chat threads. I have one going right now. To find it just go to my profile, see all the threads I've posted, and you'll find it (if you can't find it, ask and I'll PM you the link). I hope you come chat, it's a great way to get to know some of the people on this site. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I stop my puppy from biting? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my puppy she's a 8 week old lab and she's pretty awesome except her biting how do you think I should stop the biting?

How do I stop by puppy biting? [ 6 Answers ]

My little lab puppy is currently only about 8 weeks old but every time u go to stroke her she will bite you - only playfully of course, but still... they have quite sharp teeth! I was wondering if this is something she is going to grow out of, or if there is something I have to do to stop her doing...

New puppy won't stop biting! [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new 9 week old pit bull mix a week ago. So far she has tried to bite my jugular 3 times, went after my fiancé several times, and even did it to one of my guests. We don't smack her... we never have so it can't be aggression. We do what can to show her we are boss. But we are...

My puppy won't stop biting! [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 9 1/2 week old Golden Retriever. She is fine until it comes to biting. She is continually trying to bite my family members and I. Is it normal for her to be biting all the time? All the other people I know say that their puppies never bite that much. How can I get her to stop?

View more questions Search