Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    web1894 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2012, 10:15 AM
    What is the best food to feed a puppy recovering from parvo?
    I adopted the most precious pup I have ever had from the local dog shelter. Of course she was amazing the first week then she got real sick. We took her to the vet to find she had a positive reading for Parvovirus. I almost gave up considering how much treatment costs but luckily I had a very good friend who knew a vet tech and we did the at home treatments. Luckily my baby survived she is now 14 weeks. She got taken of the IV about 12 days ago. Friday we were told by our vet to take her off her antibiotics and nausea pills. She has an awesome appetite and in my opinion is recovering very well. She's very playful and energetic and like I said she eats like a horse :). I believe she's a lab/beagle mix that's what she appears to be at least. The pound said lab mix. I have been feeding her an all natural wet food that is easy to digest. My question is how long does she need to stay on easy to digest food? Its not puppy food and I want to make sure she gets all the necessary vitamins and proper nutrition for her development and growth.. This is my first ever parvo experience. I can call my vet tomorrow but I wanted to see what other people have done in this situation too. Thank You for your time!

May 6, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Name:  DSC01515.jpg
Views: 2623
Size:  67.1 KB

This is our Parvo Survivor Delilah
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
    What a cute little girl she is. You might be interested in this Fromm Four Star Nutritionals Canned Dog Food | Review and Rating I also use Fromm's dry for my 16 week pup but we add a 1/2 cup of warm water to the dish before feeding her.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 6, 2012, 11:08 AM
    What a beautiful girl, she certainly seems in good form now.
    I've had a couple of parvo survivors, and transitioned them back to a good quality puppy food within about a week after the vomiting ceased.
    12 days out from her IV without vomiting or diarrhea seems a very reasonable time to get her back onto a good dry food.
    Remember to transition her back into it gradually so that her digestive system can handle
    The change.

And I commend you for considering and adopting form your local shelter.
    So many times those guys get overlooked.
    Good luck and enjoy her.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 12:07 PM
    What a beautiful little girl, congrats.

I have nothing to add to what's been posted, you've received very good advice.

When you do change her food, like Lady Sam said, transition gradually. On the first day of change add three quarters of their old food, and one quarter of the new food. You should do this for at least two days. After two days or so, depending on how the puppy has reacted, add another quarter, so you have half old food, half new food. This should be done for another two days, or more if the puppy is not adjusting well. Then add a third quarter (one quarter old, three quarters new) again for two days or until puppy has adjusted. After that you can phase out the old food completely.

Good luck with your beautiful baby. :)

May 6, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Thank You all so much! :) I'm so glad to see such great responses! And to hear from people who have had the same experiences. I have heard such horror stories on this subject and I have been so grateful that my little girl survived. It was a heartbreaking emotional roller coaster! I thank you all for the great advice! I purchased a small bag of the same brand/ type of food I have been feeding her except I bought the dry version. I fed her dinner by mixing the wet and dry together. I just can't keep up with her!! It seems like wet just wasn't satisfying her enough! She's still a little thin but the energy and playfulness is definitely back! She absolutely is a blessing to my husband and I.. We are a young couple without kids for awhile!! SO she's our "child" :) Thank You all once more! We greatly appreciate it!
    Cats Expert

May 6, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Hopefully the addition of the dry food will satisfy her a little more and help her to feel fuller.
    Dry food doesn't tend to move through as quickly as wet.
    I'm glad she is doing well for you now, she is one of the lucky ones.
    And I think she found a nice family.
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
    I'm so happy that things are going well with you and your new little girl. I've never actually experience parvo first hand (knock on wood) and hope I never do. It does worry me as we have a new puppy in our home as well, and parvo is such a deadly and highly contagious disease. He's only had his first shots because he's only 9 weeks old, and every time we go for a walk, even though we only walk around our neighborhood, I'm worried that he could become infected.

One thing I do want to mention. If you haven't already done so, please make sure to clean up all the feces in the yard, and let your neighbors with dogs know that you have been exposed to parvo. Parvo lives in feces and can live in feces for 6 months or more, under any conditions. The only way to completely get rid of it is with bleach. Any dogs that come into your yard can not only contract it (if they haven't been immunized) but can carry it to other dogs. Cleanup is just as important as treatment, and making others aware that parvo is in your home and yard, may save another dogs life.

May 6, 2012, 05:07 PM
    Oh yes! I clean up her poopie every time with a puppy bag and a spray of the proper proportions of bleach and water. I had a very good friend of mine who rescued 2 pups and all her other animals got parvo too! Its very serious and I take it extremely serious.. I was told by my vet not to take her anywhere any other dogs have been before the parvo. She was supposed to have her 1st booster but of course its no guarantee and the possibility of a pup getting parvo is still there even with shot because it has a lot of strands like the flu. Luckily we have a fenced in yard so my pup is isolated I NEVER bring her out of the fence. My heart goes out to anyone who has had this happen to them. I have taken excellent care of Delilah and she still got it! It's a hard thing to avoid even more for a pup who has been exposed to adult dogs because they can still be a carrier with no signs! Best luck with your pup! :) and Thank You for the advice! Its greatly appreciated to hear someone say that because not all people are educated about Parvo!

May 6, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    Hopefully the addition of the dry food will satisfy her a little more and help her to feel fuller.
    Dry food doesn't tend to move through as quickly as wet.
    I'm glad she is doing well for you now, she is one of the lucky ones.
    And I think she found a nice family.
    Thank You for all your help Lady Sam! :) I hoping its going to stick with her so she's not as hungry constantly :) She is very lucky and I appreciate your kindness!
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 05:12 PM
    You do realize that we're going to need more pictures, right? ;)

You can see my new fur baby on this thread:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/a...ng-657316.html

Post number 4.
    Cats Expert

May 6, 2012, 05:28 PM

Proud Mama
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post

Proud Mama
    LOL! I really am. In fact, I think I may be boring people to tears with my new baby. I love him so much. If I'm mentioning Rascal too much, please bear with me. Or tell me to stop (not that I'd listen). ;)

Doesn't take away from the pain of losing Jasper, and Indy 5 months before Jasper, but this little ball of fur has definitely put a smile back on our faces, and laughter back into our home.

May 6, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    You do realize that we're going to need more pictures, right? ;)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/a...ng-657316.html

Post number 4.
    You have every reason to be proud! What a little cutie!! :) I know how it is though.. Everyone I'm sure is tired of hearing about Delilah! I'm glad you have a little one to bring you happiness! They really are mans best friend for sure! Here are a few more pics! The one on top is before parvo the first day I had her the 2nd is from a week ago.
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

May 6, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by web1894 View Post
    You have every reason to be proud! What a lil cutie!!!!! :) I know how it is tho.. Everyone I'm sure is tired of hearing about Delilah! I'm glad you have a lil one to bring you happiness! they really are mans best friend for sure! Here are a few more pics! The one on top is before parvo the first day I had her the 2nd is from a week ago.
    She really is adorable. I see lab in her, and maybe even shepherd. I have a beagle (3 1/2 year old), and I really don't see beagle in her. But, I'm no pro when it comes to figuring out what breeds are in a mix. She's adorable, I hope you continue to post pictures as she grows up. I'd love to see her when she's fully grown. Either way, she's precious, and so very lucky to have found you.

For my little fur ball I was told, and know for sure, that he's a border collie mix. He came from a farm, and I met the mom and dad. Dad is a border collie, mom is a mix, definitely has shepherd in her, and border collie, but when I look at Rascal I see border collie and collie (lassie dog). The rest of the litter, if I hadn't seen mom, I would have said pure bred border collie. Rascal stood out, he was the only one that looked different then the other 8 puppies in the litter.

I never tire of puppy stories, or pictures. Keep them coming, but know that I'll be doing the same. :)

We had a rough year, lost our lab/border collie mix (16 years old) 5 months ago, then lost our border collie/Dog knows what mix 2 weeks ago (he was 10 1/2), he went from completely healthy, to on his death bed within a week. Too much loss, which is why we brought a new fur baby home. We also have our purebred 3 1/2 year old beagle (most stubborn breed I've ever had, but also so very loveable, and love him to bits).

I won't bore you with a list of my other fur babies. Needless to say, I have a small zoo, could charge admission, and the majority of my animals are rescues. :)

I hope you stick around. This site is great, and I'm sure you could offer advice to other people, not only with dogs going through what Delilah went through, but other areas as well. That's how most of us started here, we came to ask a question, and then stayed to pay it forward. :)
    Cats Expert

May 6, 2012, 07:18 PM
    I just want to squeeze her!!

And Alty you can talk about Rascal all you want, not boring me. Lalalalala (kidding)

May 7, 2012, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    She really is adorable. I see lab in her, and maybe even shepherd. I have a beagle (3 1/2 year old), and I really don't see beagle in her. But, I'm no pro when it comes to figuring out what breeds are in a mix. She's adorable, I hope you continue to post pictures as she grows up. I'd love to see her when she's fully grown. Either way, she's precious, and so very lucky to have found you.

For my little fur ball I was told, and know for sure, that he's a border collie mix. He came from a farm, and I met the mom and dad. Dad is a border collie, mom is a mix, definitely has shepherd in her, and border collie, but when I look at Rascal I see border collie and collie (lassie dog). The rest of the litter, if I hadn't seen mom, I would have said pure bred border collie. Rascal stood out, he was the only one that looked different then the other 8 puppies in the litter.

I never tire of puppy stories, or pictures. Keep them coming, but know that I'll be doing the same. :)

We had a rough year, lost our lab/border collie mix (16 years old) 5 months ago, then lost our border collie/Dog knows what mix 2 weeks ago (he was 10 1/2), he went from completely healthy, to on his death bed within a week. Too much loss, which is why we brought a new fur baby home. We also have our purebred 3 1/2 year old beagle (most stubborn breed I've ever had, but also so very loveable, and love him to bits).

I won't bore you with a list of my other fur babies. Needless to say, I have a small zoo, could charge admission, and the majority of my animals are rescues. :)

I hope you stick around. This site is great, and I'm sure you could offer advice to other people, not only with dogs going through what Delilah went through, but other areas as well. That's how most of us started here, we came to ask a question, and then stayed to pay it forward. :)
    Thank you! I'm very proud of her for sure! Her other brothers and sisters looked more like shepherds but I have no idea.. I guess the owner left not much info on what she is. But it doesn't surprise me some of these people around here don't fix their animals but they don't take care of the product that comes from irresponsible actions! If you are not willing to take care and find nice homes for your dogs litter she should be FIXED!! They had little to no info on Delilah or her brothers and sisters. Sadly the vet tech that helped save her life also saw another dog that looked very similar to her in her vet office. Delilah had 1 sister and 1 brother that were blonde like her. So I'm guessing that the litter all had parvo. Which makes me very sad because it is a very heart breaking experience. And they go through so much pain and agony before they get any better :(

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your other babies.. 16 years is a long companionship and well as 10. :( I know the thought of putting Delilah down tore me apart and I only had her a week.Collies are absolutely beautiful dogs and so intelligent too! I thought of that being our next pup well after Delilah is grown!! She is like a toddler I could NEVER imagine having 2 puppies at one time!! To me animals are like people, I know not all agree with the statement. But they love us no matter what we look like or where we live or how much money we have! As long as we love them they love us! I find that just amazing I rescued Delilah but at times I feel she rescued me! My husband and I just love her to pieces!

I love hearing dog stories too! If allergies didn't hold me back I would prob have a small zoo myself! I have always loved animals! And I think I will stick around here.. I don't know how much help I will really be but if I can offer advice I will. I definitely have had some experiences with her already!

The picture I attached is from the shelter. I love advice on what anyone might think she is.. I think she was absolutely the runt of the litter.. Which is why I chose her.. I love the runts!
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM
    I always pick the runts too. Or the ones that look like they need some extra love. That last picture makes me want to bring another puppy home. Hubby would kill me! ;)

I do hope you stick around. There are tons of forums, so many different categories, I'm sure you'll find questions you can answer. Also, we have chat threads, so you can get to know everyone on the site.

I came here 4 years ago with a question, stuck around, made friends, and I have to say, this is the best site I've ever found. I've tried others, but none compare to AMHD. It's not just the site, but the people in it, their compassion, their knowledge, and their willingness to help. We all volunteer here, do this because we love to do it. I know we've made a difference in people's lives. :)
    Heather17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 07:04 AM
    I have a parvo infected puppy on hand right now I have been treating him at home with penicillen and pediatic electrolytes, as well as ginger and a medication for his diahrea. I'm pleased to say he is doing geat after only three days of the treatment, and is getting his appetite back. I recommend feeding your puppy cans of tuna in oil. The recommended this because of the omega 3's in the oil, also dry food isn't a good idea for at least 3 weeks after treatment because it is tough on the puppies digestive system. Parvo lays in the intestants and they become inflamed and sore possibly in sever cases even twisting. I'm very glad to hear that your puppy is doing well, she is very beautiful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I just feed my puppy dried food? He doesn't eat meat. [ 2 Answers ]

Is OK for my 8week old puppy jut to eat dried food

What & how much food can we feed our recovering puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

In the morning my dog wakes up & excited to see me & starts sniffing for food. I feed her maybe half a cup every 15 minutes & after force her pedialyt. I don't know if this is wrong but I have been feeding her every 15mins till she gets full. A couple hours later she looks too sad. What can I do?

Feed a puppy dog food [ 1 Answers ]

I am feeding my 6 month old puppy regular dog food will this hurt him??

Parvo Puppy Food [ 1 Answers ]

We adopted a lab mix puppy from the pound. Found out she had Parvo 5 days later. She has been in a 24 hr. ER since Friday. We caught it early (before the bloody diarrhea). Sunday she took a huge turn for the worse, but seems to be slowly improving... She has had two plasma transfusions, feeding...

View more questions Search