Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sevenlol Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Withdraw From 401k for college.
    I'm 30years old and I am going to be going back to college in the fall. Financing is really tight, and monthly bills are my biggest concern. I have around 20,000 in my 401k right now, and I'm going to be leaving my job around early August.

I'm very confused about 401k's, and how/when you can withdraw. I do understand the penalties and taxes associated with withdrawing. I'm looking at the possibility of taking everything and using it to pay off my car (around 7k left) to reduce my monthly bill level, and also using the remainder as a savings account to help pay tuition for future semesters (around 3k a semester).

I'm also a little confused on what happens to your 401k if you leave a job. There is also a high chance that I might be laid off (construction industry) before I leave on my own in August. I'm not sure how this would effect anything.

I know generally it's not at all a good idea, and that you would make more money over the timeframe by not withdrawing. I'm fairly young and very committed to having a good retirement future, but I could very much use this money more at the present.

Is this a terrible idea? Any better solutions? I'd like to be knowledgeable if/when I talk to the plan administrator at my company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
    Yes it's a bad idea, first you will only receive about $16K of the $20K. Plus another $2K needs to be put aside for the 10% penalty. Plus you need to put some aside for any additional state and federal taxes.

At 30 it will take a lot to rebuild this nest egg.

May 4, 2012, 06:31 PM
    If I understand correctly though, I can put my 401k into an IRA when I leave my job, and withdraw for tuition+books penalty free, correct? This is putting aside paying off the car for the moment, and just focusing on the education expense.

Would paying for tuition from an IRA effect stafford loans or federal grants?

May 4, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Yes you can roll over into an IRA, but not withdraw without penalty.

The IRA shouldn't greatly affect your ability to get financial aid.

May 4, 2012, 06:54 PM
    I've read multiple sources stating that higher education expenses are 10% penalty free, but you will pay income tax on it.

How is that not without penalty?

Am I misunderstanding?

May 4, 2012, 07:01 PM
    You can't avoid the penalty by doing a rollover.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2012, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlol View Post
    if i understand correctly though, i can put my 401k into an IRA when i leave my job, and withdraw for tuition+books penalty free, correct?
    Yes, you are correct. One of the differences between a 401(k) and an IRA is that using withdrawals for higher education expenses can avoid the 10% penalty from an IRA, but not from a 401(k). So a strategy of moving the 401(k) account to a rollover IRA after you leave the job, and then using the money for higher education expenses will avoid the penalty. Of course you must still pay income tax on the amount used (federal and state/local if applicable). Also before doing this be sure to check with the IRA custodian to make sure they have no rules that woud limit how long you have to wait after the rollover before using the account to do this, and also whether it's best for the IRA plan to make payments directly to the college (this way they can certify that the money was indeed used for higher ed, which may help reduce your tax filing headaches next year).

May 5, 2012, 03:57 AM
    I stand corrected

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you withdraw tax free from a solo roth 401k for qualified college expenses? [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of opening a solo 401k and contributing to the Roth 401k portion of the account. I am also trying to find out if I can then "hire" my children during the summer (they are 2 and 4 years old), but most of their "earned income" from myself employed business into their roth 401k and then...

401k withdraw [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was laid off from my job almost 2 months ago now, although I'm collecting unemployment, I've got some bills that are starting to pile up. I was going to just pay the penalty and take some money out of my 401k, but I heard that if I do I won't be able to collect unemployment. First off, I'm...

Why do you have to be 59 1/2 to withdraw a 401k [ 1 Answers ]

My teacher wants to know what is special about 59 1/2

Withdraw 401K [ 2 Answers ]

If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.

Withdraw 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state

View more questions Search