Ask
    shreefer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 10:00 PM
    How to remove the lead and oakum from a 4" cast iron sewer fitting
    How do I remove the lead and oakum from a 4" cast iron bell hub
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Gee Shreefer, from the lousy rating you gave me on another cast iron post I figured you knew everything there was to know about running cast iron.
    Here's your answer. Ya want to bad rap this one too?
    To remove a poured lead and oakum joint take a 3/8" drill bit and drill a few holes down past the lead and into the oakum.. Push a screwdriver under the lead ring and lever it up. Once it's free you can began to peel the lead ring out. Now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart. Good luck, Tom
    dkelley Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2010, 05:44 PM

Hey Kelly ,
    Glad you got your question answered but how come you're digging up all these old threads?Tom
    dkelley Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 12:00 AM

Because this Q&A applies to me and the answer then is the same one I needed now. I see you've been around a little longer than me. Maybe someday I'll know everything too.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2010, 01:31 PM

I see you've been around a little longer than me. Maybe someday I'll know everything too.
    If that was a "put down" be advised that I don't think, for one minute, that I think "I know it all" and I'm sorry if Igave you that impression. Tom
    GHogie88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Screw all that. Just grab an oxy-acetylene torch and watch the lead pour out like water for those of us lucky enough to have one. Work from one side to the other and don't use the burn trigger. Repeat that several times until the joint is loose then pry it out. Be careful not to burn your house down lol. And the cast becomes extremely hot so let it cool for a minute before touching it with your bare hands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disassembling hubbed cast iron -- lead and oakum [ 9 Answers ]

Hey folks, I'm taking apart part of the cast iron main stack in my house (3" hubbed service-weight) to replace a leaky fitting. I've used a galvanized saddle clamp, and am pretty happy with the support/blocking/pre-load i have on the main stack, so it's time to take apart the joints and bust...

Oakum and Plastic or Lead with Cast Iron [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used plastic filler with Oakum in cast iron joints? I would like to know your opinion on using plastic, and if you like it, what name or brand have you used? Thank you. J

Cast Iron Lead sealed plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older home that has a vented stand cast iron plumbing (4-6" diameter), and the joints are sealed with lead. I need to rotate one tee joint (runnuig vertically). Do I have to heat the lead to a molten state to allow rotation? I have never worked with lead sealed pipe and while this...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Removing galv fitting from cast iron pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove a threaded stuck lead fitting from a cast iron section? The fitting was from a lead sink drain pipe and it connected to the cast pipe at the toilet elbow. I tried a pipe wrench and a hammer to try to budge it but no go. I want to thread new PVC into the section of...

View more questions Search