Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nova0525 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 06:39 PM
    10/2 wiring on 15 & 20 amp circuit
    I was wondering if it would be okay to use 10/2 wire on branch circuits in my house? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
    10/2 is good for up to 30 amps, and while the thicker wire can sometimes be cumbersome, it is more than adequate for current ratings
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Yeah, when I worked for a wire manufacturer, I was given a coil of 10-2. Ran a bunch of 20amp circuits with it. Tough to work with.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Dec 14, 2006, 04:05 PM
    I second:

Safe: yea, definitely.

Aggrivating: oh yea. Just try squeezing that stiff 10 gauge wire into a little metal box with a big square GFCI outlet inside.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Unless the length of the run is long and #10 is needed to reduce voltage drop, I see no benefit to using #10 for standard regular circuits in the house.

Fisrt, the devices (outlets and switches) need to be rated to handle #10 wire, and not just try to squeeze the wire around the screws, and hope they are connected good. The connections will not be as tight as they should be.

Many of the outlet boxes will need to be larger. Boxes have limits as to the total amount of the different size wires. If the box is plastic, look inside and you will see the total amount of each size wire allowed, and then deduct one for the device to be in that box. Plus the size wirenut needs to be larger and will take up more space and crowd the wires and device.

Besides the stress of the connections and the difficulty folding the wires into the boxes, the cost of copper is expensive.

I do not think this is such a good idea. Use all #12 cable, and spend your money more wisely on better grade outlets and switches.
    jimbobtheboss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 07:26 PM
    I see no problem as long as you pigtail all devices with either #12 or #14 wire, and use large (deep) boxes. 4 x 4 x 2.125 should be minimum box size.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
    jimbobtheboss, please be aware of the dates of the posts you are replying to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

How many watts can a 15 amp circuit support? [ 10 Answers ]

Recently had my 35 year old Federal Pacific service entrance replaced. As I was labelling the circuits, I found that the 15 amp furnace fan circuit also has a bunch of lights on it. If I add them all up plus the 12 amps for the fan (that's what's on the fan label and I assume it's the max load at...

Wiring a 5o amp disconnect circuit for a piece of cooking equipment [ 1 Answers ]

I concerned about the cost of running #6 wire/ for a 3ph 50 amp disconnect. I know wire cost has increased substantially within last year or so. What should I expect as a cost for a job of this type-5-6 hours---30-40 feet run?

20 amp circuit [ 2 Answers ]

Would it be o.k. to have 10 gauge wire ran for a 20 amp circuit?

15 amp circuit load [ 1 Answers ]

Will a 15 amp circuit safely handle a 2000 watt resistance heater?

View more questions Search