Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rozeheal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Changing from gas to electric stove hook up
    I am changing my old gas stove and putting in a electric one. Is there anything I need to do besides shut the gas off? Thanks any help would be appreciated.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
    You must cap off the old gas line - don't just rely on the shut-off valve. And your new stove will require a 220V line (if one is not already in place).
    Rozeheal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozeheal
    I am changing my old gas stove and putting in a electric one. Is there anything I need to do besides shut the gas off? Thanks any help would be appreciated.
    Do I have to shut the gas off in the basement to do this? Or can I just shut it off at the valve? And what do you mean by a 220v line?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
    There should be a shut-off valve in the gas line immediately behind the stove - where the line comes out of the wall or through the floor. That's the one I meant. Turn that valve off, disconnect the old gas stove, and then cap the gas line with a proper threaded cap.

Your electric stove runs on 220 volt electricity, not 110 as is normally run through the house (I'm assuming you are in the US). You should get an electrician to run the proper electric line from a dedicated circuit breaker and connect your stove to it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
    The cap or plug should use pipe dope and tighten it about 2 turns past finger tight.

Hopefully, your electric panel and service can handle the extra load.
    Alers4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 09:56 AM
    We've applied a threaded cap to the gas line behind stove and checked to make sure valve is off but I still smell faint hint of gas... where else should I check?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Depending on the electrical configuration, you may have a 120/240 VAC range. Heating element is 240 but light is 120. (110 and 220 don't exist in the US anymore). Has the electricity been connected yet?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2012, 06:38 AM
    It would be best for you to cap the gas line where it originates in basement. Natural gas is odorless so ethyl mecaptan is added to give it a smell. This chemical can linger around gas lines and fittings, but I would not assume that. You can use soap bubbles to test for leaks. Sometimes valves leak from the valve stem if seal is worn, so cap it off at the source, which is easy to do. Cut off main gas and disconnect line going to stove, then use a plug or cap and pipe dope to seal off line. That is the safest way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing electric heat to gas heat, live in tx. [ 2 Answers ]

I have just the opposite question,my electric bill ran up to $930.00 in jan. I'm wondering if I should be looking into converting it to gas. I do have gas for my fireplace, I'm not even sure if I can convert. Can I convert and is gas cheaper? I live in TX, can't afford 1k a month. Thanks for...

Changing from a gas range to an electric smooth top range [ 1 Answers ]

What are the requirement for switching from cooking with a gas stove to cooking with and electric stove

Changing gas to electric [ 5 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying a home. The one I want uses gas for heating and cooking. How hard would it be to convert that to electric? I am terrified of blowing myself up in a home that has gas. The house I am looking at is about a 100 years old. Any information would be great.

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Electric stove [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas stove which is a 20 amps and I have it plugged in to the wall. A few days ago I noticed that there was a pop noise in the kitchen and the stove went out. There is no electricity where I had the stove plugged in. I went outside and switched the breaker off and on that applied to that...

View more questions Search