Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
    How can I give up my rights to a child?
    This girl I was with a while back is saying that I fathered her child. Well I really don't want anything to do with this child because of her mother and the harassment she puts on me and my family.. how can I go about giving up my rights?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Contact Family Support Services in your area and they can advise you as to what your options are. If you do not feel the child is yours, you can petition the courts for a DNA test. If it is not yours, your obligation ends there.

However, be forewarned! If you know the child is yours, or if the DNA test comes back stating it is yours, you may sign away your rights but as far as the law is concerned, it does not get you off the hook to pay child support. She can come after you for support and the law will back her up. There is no easy way out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
    This issue has been covered umpteen times here. I would suggest you browse through some of the previous threads.

Bottomline, you first need to confirm the child is or isn't yours. If its yours you cannot relinquish your responsibility to support that child. You can relinquiish your right to have a say in how its raised. But there is no need to formalize that. Just don't do anything.
    romain003 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 01:57 AM
    You possibly have a child, and you want to give the child up because harassment? My OPINION is maybe they harass you because you want nothing to do with it! Maybe you need to take a paternity test, and step up. Im really guessing there doing that for a reason, and the reason seems a little obvious to me. I don't mean to be rude, but if your man enough to lay down with a woman, then be man enough to take care of what comes out. You possibly created something, I see no good reason for you to coward out of a responsibility if you do in fact have one.*
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2007, 07:16 AM
    As noted, here and a serveral times a day, first remember giving up your rights, is not giving up your obligation, so unless the mother of the child gets remarried, and the new parent wants to adopt, you can't give up paying child support.

So basically the mother of the child will be bothering you for the next 18 years at least for money. So if that is the bother, get used to it.

Next you don't have to visit, you don't have to do anything but pay child support.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 4, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Get the dna testing done... then yes if your child you will be paying child support, it don't matter if you sign your rights away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I give up rights? Repercussions? [ 7 Answers ]

I have two girls with my ex-wife, 7 and 8. I have one daughter adopted, that is 14 now. She was two when I met her, married her mom a year and a half later, divorced her after 8 years. The 14 year old (Jane) blames me for everything. Does not like coming to my house, does not obey the rules...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Wanting to give up parental rights [ 14 Answers ]

My friend is going through a nasty divorce. His kids are not wanting to speak to him and his wife is making his life hell. He's fought for 3 years to get his kids and the kids don't want anything to do with him. He is near a mental break down and is just wanting to give up and have everything...

Give up my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is paul and I have a problem. Me and my ex girlfriend have a son together. My son will be 2 years old dec. 27 and I have not seen him since he was 8 months old. The mother has taken me for child support. I never received a court notice to go to court so it ended up in a default...

Give up parental rights [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has requested that I give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can I get things going? Don't we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. Right?

View more questions Search