Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Philip12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Repair corroded bathtub drain
    What is the best way to repair or replace a corroded (and leaking) bathtub drain? We have been advised by a plumber to buy a liner. Is this our only option or is there something else available?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 05:52 PM
    That plumber want you to send his kid to Harvard. The drain can be removed with a tub removal tool that cost about $15. You can buy a new drain kit for abouth the same price. The leak is likely right at the lip where it seals around the tub so buy A $1 can of plumbers putty to form a small rope seal for the drain before you tighten the new drain.
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Ballenger is on point unless there is more to it then you described
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    That plumber want you to send his kid to Harvard. The drain can be removed with a tub removal tool that cost about $15. You can buy a new drain kit for abouth the same price. The leak is likely right at the lip where it seals around the tub so buy A $1 can of plumbers putty to foam a small rope seal for the drain.
    How can you say that without knowing just how advanced the 'corrosion' is?

A small chip around the drain of an enameled steel tub can blossom into a major canker in as little as two years -- Less if the faucet has a persistent drip.

As for options -- A liner is a stopgap measure, as the rust will persist under the liner and eventually undermine the new liner.

Frankly, I'd bite the bullet and just replace the tub with anything but another enameled steel tub.
    etorres Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Our bathtub is corroaded and now has a hole, should we refinish it or replace it?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Hi etorres

Replacement would certainly be the best, but it really depends on the condition of the surrounding area/tiles/walls, etc. and exactly where the hole is (up high in tub or in the tub floor), right? More info. Here would help!

Depending on the location of the hole, a quick fix that may buy you months/years to come is to purchase some SOIL SEAL (available at most home repair stores or online)... see image, and some PORC-A-FIX... see image.

The soil seal fills the hole (read the can... tub crack filler) and the porc-a-fix puts a new porcelain finish over the soil seal patch to blend things in quite nicely... ;)

Let us know what you think, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by etorres View Post
    our bathtub is corroaded and now has a hole, should we refinish it or replace it?
    Hi etorres; and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 5 year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Great advice by Massplumber. Where is the hole and how large is it? Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

Bathtub drain repair replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have someone coming over for repair work tomorrow.. had a leak in basement- (main drain) liquid waste was coming through crack in cement from outside). In addition to this problem I've noticed that my upstairs tub/shower drain has not been holding water.. and once leaked out of ceining vent/fan...

Installing Shower Drain Where Old Copper Corroded [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old shower pan that had a corroded copper drain. (Completely Corroded through so that there was some pieces left in the brass trap connection.) I was wondering if PVC can be connected to the brass or do I need to solder new copper. These are 2 1/2 inch pipes, so I'm trying not to spend...

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

View more questions Search