Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ASalinas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
    Work and live in separate State
    My husband is a full time CA resident. He works and his income is only from CA.

I  am a full-time Florida resident since 2007 and work and got my income only from Florida. Our kids living with me in Fl. We bought a hose in Florida and it is under his name.

We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state taxes? We both claim our residences in different states. Florida doesn't have State taxes   If we file taxes jointly/separately in both states, the income reported on line 37 in 1040 (which happens to be combined income since we want to file federal jointly) is required by the states (which considerably increases the tax even though the other person did not receive any income in one state). 

1. How  do we file Ca taxes? Did he needs to pay taxes for my Florida income?

2. It will be better to file separately? What are the advantage? Are his expenses deductible?

Any advice will be welcome

Thanks
    Alex
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 11, 2012, 06:08 AM
    Since you neither lived nor worked in CA, and have no CA source of income in your name, your husband may file his CA tax as Married Filing Separately even though you file jointly on your federal return. On Page 3 of the instructions for CA Form 540 it says you must file using the same filing status as on your federal rerturn, but with these exceptions:

"Exception: If you file a joint tax return for federal purposes, you may file separately for California if either spouse was:
    • An active member of the United States armed forces or any auxiliary military branch during 2011.
    A nonresident for the entire year and had no income from California sources during 2011."
    [emphasis added]

So your husband files a CA tax return as Married Filing Searately, reporting his income but not yours. And you do need to file a CA tax return at all. For the full set of instructions see: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2011/11_540a_540ins.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

Do I have to have held out for a state I work in in if the state I live in has no sta [ 1 Answers ]

I work 6 months in AZ, I live in TN. Do I need to az state taxes held out of my pay?

Primary Residence - live/work in one state while family lives in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I jointly own a home in NY with my wife and this is our primary residence today. My wife is a home maker and does not go out for work. Recently I got a job with a company in Massachussettes. We decided to buy a condo near work in Massachussettes where I would live 4 days a week and come home to my...

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search