Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tripper777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 12:58 AM
    How do I dye over bleached blonde hair back to dark brown and it not fade
    About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted blonde highlights.
    My wife used Loreal Color Rays bleach blonde kit. And put in a lot of streaks.
    My natural color hair is dark brown.
    Of course you can imagine how it turned out.
    The streaks turned out yellowy orange and looked horrible.
    I waited a week and called Loreal and they told me the best way to go over the bleached highlights is get permanent loreal dark ash brown number 4A.
    Last weekend I dyd over the bleached blonde hair and it turned out OK.
    I missed a few strands.
    I have normally oily hair , so I waited a week to wash my hair again and the first wash with the lorealconditioner right after I dyed over the blonde.
    Well this past Saturday I washed my hair with my usual Pantene full and thick shampoo and when I dried it my hair looked lighter again. It looked like the permanent dark ash brown had faded a lot and it looked lighter and I saw the bleached blonde orangey hair strands coming through.
    I had to go out and buy another Dark Ash Brown dye and do it again.
    It nows looks pretty close to my nautal dark brown color and I am happy with it, although my hair is very straw like now.
    I am just worried, what did I do wrong that after one wash the dark ash brown faded.
    I would think dark ash brown would be darker and a stronger color then the bleached streaked hair.
    Am I suppose to use a special shampoo. I didn't think Pantene Full and Thick with conditioner would strip the dark ash brown at all let alone one wash.
    If someone could please respond with help before I wash my hair again this weekend.
    I'm worried I'll wash it again and the dark will come out and I have two toned dark brown ( the hair that wasn't bleached) and the orange strands will show again.
    If it's permanent dark ash brown, why was is it faded after one wash?
    Is there anyway I can get the bleached blodne color faded?
    I know I have dark ash brown over it, but is there any way I can stop dying my hair and and get the orange bleached color that's under the dark ash brown out too that way my hair is back to it's natural color all over?
    My hair is shoulder length and I don't really want to have to dye it every couple of months for like 2 years until all the orange strands ( which are now covered with the dark ash brown) grow out or have to keep redying it so the dark dye doesn't fade and the orange starts showing again.
    trudiloulou Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2007, 01:06 AM
    Add a little red to the brown dye and it will stop the hair turning to that faded green couler
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jul 3, 2007, 06:17 PM
    If the color doesn't hold or fades every time you wash your hair, it means your hair is porous and needs to be filled with a color filler before applying the color application. First, use the dark ash brown hair color (without the developer) and let it dry in your hair. Then apply the hair color with the developer. Leave the hair color mixture on your hair for the recommended time then wash it out. This should hold the color.
    LilMexx Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Hi I know it's a little late but for the future just keep wasing and wait for it to fade instead of dying it constistontly because it won't do your hair any good what so ever. I know it's hard :( but you'll just have to try and live with it and learn to like it or not deppise it so much I hope this helps if not owell:)
    ducky .1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 07:05 AM

You turn it back to dark brown getting the perminet hair color stuf and go to get it done by a profetional or get a lot of brown or mix colors to get brown
    Annie63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 04:02 AM
    You mix 1/4 oz. distilled water to 1oz.color apply with brush let sit 15 min squeeze out excess filler with paper towel then apply color with peroxide over top of filler process 30-35 min. annie dawn
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2009, 11:05 PM

Your hair turned orange when you lightened it due2your natural underlying pigments along with not a strong enough developer2lift through those underlying pigments!now that your depositing color into it2cover it up it is fading because the cuticle of your hair is porous and isn't able to hold on2the pigment your depositing! I have had this problem with clients in the past however over the course of a few applications this problem of fading will subside. Don't worry about damaging your hair at all! It never harms the integerity of your hair when your depositing color!only when you lift or lighten your hair does it cause damage! So my suggestion to you is to do a few applications over the cOurse of a week or so! And if I was your stylist I would highly recommend a color conserving shampoo and conditioner! But it must be professional products! The cheap stuff will not work under any circumstances! If anything the cheap stuff will fade your color even more!
    oldbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 06:40 AM

Hi I had highlighted hair and decided to do my own roots, but it went orange, so then I got my hubby to go over all my hair with blonde which turned out okish until the roots grew, which as my colour is v.dark brown looked awful so I waited for a few weeks until I could stand it no more went to my hairdressers, while having a dry cut asked her advice and she told me to make sure whatever colour you put on it, ti has to have red in it then, it won't go green, well put two boxes of nice and easy burgandy dark brown (permanant) on and was really pleased as it looks lovely, that was two weeks ago it is starting to fade a little so in a couple of weeks I will get my other half to put the same colour again, I will never go back to being blonde again as it washes me out. Don't forget that if you do this you need to get the ends trimmed and condition well, good colouring and don't forget about making sure it has red in it.
    BeckyM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Comment on PrettyLady's post
    Question: Do you mean buy 2 boxes of hair dye and then use the colour (without developer) from one box first, then apply the other box, as usual (with developer) over the top? Or use one box and split the colour in half? X
    klea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
    Question: Do you apply the color to the roots first or middle ends
    gwenalyn7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Yes, you have to buy two boxes of color. Use first color withOUT the developer. Let it dry or dry under low hair dryer. Then mix the other box of color WITH developer and put that on. Then wait 30 minutes... then wash your hair.
    georgismtih Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 04:05 AM
    Hi my hair is bleach blonde/gingery how do I get it to dark brown please without it going green thankx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair dye. Dark.blonde.brown.what color mixes? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay IF you have DARK hair as in it being brownish darkish and then you want to dye it blonde and then brown like an ash brown or light brown what color should it come out? I have a dark hair color it looks brown/black and I want to dye it but I want it to come out as a light brown blondish...

How to make dark hair dye fade faster [ 207 Answers ]

Today I dyed my hair "dark brown" and it came out too dark. I don't want to strip or bleach my hair, I just want to make the color fade a little faster. I've read about several ways to do this and I wanted to know if anyone knew the best method or if any of these really work. Here are the...

How to make dark hair dye fade faster [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make dark hair dye fade faster:confused: :confused:

How to make dark hair dye fade faster [ 3 Answers ]

Pretty Lady, I read all the posts and I think you have given people very good advice. I have naturally dark brown hair with a white streak in front. I have been using a demi-permanent to darken the streak to a shade or two lighter than my natural hair to appear as highlighted. I like the...

View more questions Search