Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amiano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
    How to make steep stairs less steep
    I have some very steep and narrow(from front to back) stairs going up to my second floor, is reconstructing these stairs to regular size or just wider in general a project that can be done easily?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 07:14 AM

Usually not. To make the stairs wider you need to remove at least one of the walls on on side, moving walls can be done but not easy. To make the stairs less steep you need to lengthen the run. The top can't move so lengthening the run means the bottom step must move out into the lower room s few feet. Plus you must remove and cut a completely new stringer, can be doen but far from easy
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Mr. B's right, not an easy job at all! Were these stairs that came with the house or added later? If they are steep and narrow, would possibly not meet current codes. How narrow is narrow?
    zeeeee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
    I would also like to know if its possible to make my stairs less steep building regulations says they should be 45 degrees mine are 38 can a stair be added to the bottom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
    No zeeee, please reread my first post. You'd have to totally tear down the existing stair case, cut new stringers with more steps and a longer run. The new stair case will stick further out into the room where it ends at the bottom. Where do you live that allows a stair case to be 45 degrees?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Bob is right. You would have to put in a totally new flight of stairs.

Only code I have ever seen in regards to stairs is the riser height and tread width. Check your codes again.

Chuck
    sarahd69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Usually not. To make the stairs wider you need to remove at least one of the walls on on side, moving walls can be done but not easy. To make the stairs less steep you need to lengthen the run. The top can't move so lengthening the run means the bottom step must move out into the lower room s few feet. Plus you must remove and cut a completely new stringer, can be doen but far from easy
    I do not have room at the bottom to add a stair, is there another answer?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2012, 06:59 AM
    Welcome to AMHD, sarah

The simple answer is NO.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make only blower motor run on up stairs thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get the blower on my furnace to run on the upstairs thermostat and keep the exhaust fan and auto ignition from running because I hook up a out door wood stove?

What Kind of Cement is Most Often Used to Make Floors, Sidewalks, Stairs, Etc. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, All! There wasn't enough room for my whole title, so I had to shorten it a bit. Okay. I'd like to start making some things that I'll manufacture out of cement. These things might include floors, sidewalks, stairs, paving bricks as well as maybe seats, and lawn ornaments. I'm looking...

Steep Drainage Slope [ 4 Answers ]

An Aerobic Wastewater Treatment System will be located about 125 meters (410 Ft) away and about 50 meters (165 Ft) down, from where the residence is located. That would result, if straight forward connected, in a drainage slope of about 22°. Any problems with such a connection? (Speed at the...

12 year leak on steep roof [ 1 Answers ]

I am losing my mind with this. I live in the hurricane zone of the Gulf of Mexico. My house is 12 years old with a very steep roof lines with a fireplace. I purchased the house when it was three yrs old. The inspection indicated that the roof needed to be reflashed. This was completed. Less...

Three steep market declines in the past month. [ 25 Answers ]

"Three steep market declines in the past month have begun to raise concerns that deteriorating credit in the United States, rising inflation and higher interest rates are finally starting to end a long period of easy money in global markets. " Read more GPTB members Bow to the great kavenger The...

View more questions Search