Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristin Hopson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Buried water pipes
    How deep do I need to bury my water pipes to prevent freezing?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 07:03 PM

If the line is freezing underground, the only solution would be to dig it up and put the line deeper, below the frost line. Your local extension agent should be able to give you a recommendation as to how deep.

You can bury a PVC line at a minimum depth of 12"-18",
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 07:16 PM

Please give location. Also, are you talking about lines under slab, or outside of foundation? If you could tell me where you live, I could look up you local code. If you live in below freezing temps, then it will all depends.

My area(under code) requires a seven foot bury for water lines(outside of house). This is because frost will penatrate near this depth in the spring. Many factors. Please let us know more about your situation.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Hi all:

Kristen... if these are underground water pipes INSIDE the home you just need to be under the concrete slab (or deeper) to prevent freezing. Residentially you need to be more concerned with keeping water pipes away from EXTERIOR WALLS then to be concerned about depth of pipes... ;)

If this is in regard to exterior underground water pipe then you need to run water pipe below the freeze line or as directed by local codes enforcement people.

More information please... ;)

HI MGD77..was typing as you were. Seems we are on same wavelength! How is picture posting coming?

MARK
    peterlove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 11:17 AM
    (scotland) running a water pipe from my house to the end of my garden underground for irrigation purpose
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlove View Post
    (scotland) running a water pipe from my house to the end of my garden underground for irrigation purpose
    Hi peterlove and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 3 year old dead thread Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Is there a question in there someplace? If so we're waiting to answer it. Cheers, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Peter, you won't have to go very deep in this case, just deep enough so you don't hit the water line when tilling etc. I would suggest going at least a foot deep. Also make sure to have a vacuum breaker on the system and a place to blow the line out in the winter if your temps get below freezing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best buried water supply pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am converting a detached garage into an apt. What would you recommend for underground supply pipe from house with the following conditions: municipal water water supply, aggressively treated with chlorine- ammonia mix, has been cited as cause of leaks in older copper installations, 3/4" hard...

Locating buried pvc water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Any way to accurately locate the pvc water lines from a well to the house? The line is about 200 feet long.

What type of pipe for buried water line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had a pipe break recently in the water line running to a workshop behind my house. The existing pipe is galvanized that was buried and eventually rusted through. I want to abandon the pipe completely and run a new line. I am on a budget so... What about the white plastic pipe? What...

View more questions Search