Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smonjith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 01:06 AM
    Is it legal for a 16-year-old to be a nude figure model in Canada?
    I'm a male artist living in Canada, and I'm 20 years old. I have a friend who is 16 who has offered to be a figure model for me (I didn't ask her to be) as I've been trying to develop my skills drawing the human figure. Is it legal for her to model nude?

If it happened, it would be in the privacy of her own home, and I would never publicize the drawings or show them to anyone. Nobody would see her nude except her and I.

Does parental consent play into it? It's possible that her mother would give us permission, as her mother knows me fairly well.

To me it seems like a grey area, where it's not necessarily illegal for a 16-year-old to expose herself to a 20-year-old (as she is past the age of consent and thus it's even legal for a sexual relationship to occur between persons of our respective ages), but it is illegal for pictures/videos to be taken of a nude 16-year-old. Are drawings any different than photos? The context would be non-sexual, as figure drawing is purely for artistic and educational purposes.

We are also both about to have our birthdays within the next few months, so I will be 21 and she will be 17 soon.

Thanks for any insight.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 03:11 AM
    She isn't past the age of consent in Canada she is just at that age at 16. I would have to question her wanting to pose nude at 16. Why does she want to do this and does she realize the implications of doing so? She will be alone with you, or she will have a parent in the room while you draw her, and will this be just one sitting, or will there be several? I don't think there is anything in the canadian criminal code that forbids this, and it is a gray area. At the same time you must have safeguards in place to protect yourself, and an unbiased person present to do this. Almost same as a nurse being present when a doctor is giving a woman a physical examination.

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 03:44 AM
    I would also agree it's a gray area. In general nude pictures, especially designed as artwork, are not illegal. The illegality comes into play when there is a sex act involved.

I would play it safe and get her and her parent's written permission or even invite the parent to sit in on the session. As long as any pictures are not made public then I can't see any criminal prosecution. Even if they are made public as part of an art exhibition, I still see no criminal prosecution.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 04:32 AM
    I would also suggest the girl and her parents get a non-disclosure statement from you. Just to play it safe that copies of your artwork are not used in an innappropriate manner.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I would also suggest the girl and her parents get a non-disclosure statement from you. Just to play it safe that copies of your artwork are not used in an innappropriate manner.
    That's also a good idea.By offering that, you may allay any fears they have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does US or Canada have legal jurisdiction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We lived in Canada for 6 years and acquired a Visa credit card through CIBC. We have been paying it down since we moved back to the US in 2003; the balance at that time was approx. $10,500 and is now down to roughly $6,200. In the last year and a half, however, we have had increasing...

In Canada, can a 16 year old girl date a 24 year old guy? [ 1 Answers ]

In Canada, can a 16 year old girl date a 24 year old guy? Is it legal? Anybody? Please.

I am 14 and from Canada,is it legal to date an 18 year old [ 16 Answers ]

I was wondring if it was legal to date a 18 year old boy, I'm 14 year old girl. We are both mature and not looking for any kind of intercourse

In the State of Maine is it legal for an 18 year old male to date a 16 year old girl [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 years old and wants to date a girl who is 16 years old and will turn 17 years old in 2 weeks. Is this legal?

View more questions Search