Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vendaian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Memory card is write protected
    Hi, the memory card I have been using in my nikon camera for a while is telling me now that it's write protected. How can I get rid of this and continue to use the card as before. I have emptied the card, I just can't take pictures now. Other than throw the card out and buy another can someone please tell me how to "un write" it?

Thanks
    Venda
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 10:48 AM
    This happened to me once, not sure if you have the same type of card, SD?

Most of them have a tiny switch on the card that can be locked or unlocked. I had inadvertently moved the tiny switch to lock.

The only other advise if your card does not have the lock switch, try putting the card in a card reader and use your computer to format it, or, format in the camera if that option is available.

Good Luck!
    vendaian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    This happened to me once, not sure if you have the same type of card, SD?

Most of them have a tiny switch on the card that can be locked or unlocked. I had inadvertantly moved the tiny switch to lock.

The only other advise if your card does not have the lock switch, try putting the card in a card reader and use your computer to format it, or, format in the camera if that option is available.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much, I didn't even see that tiny little lock until you told me! I appreciate your reply.

Kind regards
    MissGB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Hi there
    I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your question, but I have been having a similar problem and I have switched the lock to un lock and back again with still no joy? Any more ideas at all?
    Many thanks
    alicesmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 10:19 PM
    Formatting the memory card may resolve the issue but formatting the card will delete all the previously stored images from the card. In this case you may use a third party tool like formatted data recovery software to get back your lost images.
    tyro0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
    My variant (Nikon P7000+8GB SanDisk).
    Download from Nikon “update”.
    Copy from local comp folder "firmware" to the root of your card.
    Insert in the camera and torn her on.
    Throw the menu play “format card”.
    That’s All.
    If you launch update firmware,
    Shut your camera down.
    Remove the card.
    On Your comp delete all of your files and folders from the card.
    Copy once time again folder "firmware" to the root of your card.
    Play format.
    Eventually That’s All!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Card Reader/writer shows Write Protected What Should I DO? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I got a Multi Card reader/writer that shows me write protected when ever I'm trying to copy anything in to a memory card, and I have tried uninstalling, formatting and many ways to get it o.k but failed. Please can some one help me out there?

Write protected HD [ 1 Answers ]

I have a HD that I have tried to reformat but I can't because it prompts that it is write protected. How do I disable this to proceed reformat?

What does write protected mean? [ 8 Answers ]

I downloaded a program called precast which was to help me view videos from a survy site " dumb move " any way when I try to remove the fies and folders it says they are write protected. How can I remove these? Also, I also wanted to remove a program in the add/remove program ( by the way I have...

View more questions Search