Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 07:29 PM
    How to get rid of Carpenter Bees?
    I have most likely 30 plus Carpenter Bees, it seems like a lot more. They are centered around my back deck. It appears they are drilling into the bottom areas of the deck.

This is what I have tried to far.

1. I bought Carpenter Bee poison spray, I tried just spraying it around the area to see if they would just go away.

2. It says "kills on contact" well I sprayed dozen of them and they just seem angry. I did not see dead bees anywhere the next day and they were not dying on contact.

3. I have went out several times trying to spray water around at them, to try to scare them away,

4. Ok, I sprayed water hard at them, knocking them to the ground and stompped them. Ok I got rid of about 12 of them today, but this evening, it does not even seem like I killed any, they are still there in swarms.

If they would just damage something other than my deck, I don't mind them being in the back yard. LIke I would even put a post in the back to make them a home.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Carpenter Bees are common at my office too.

1. squirt boric acid powder into the holes that they have drilled,
    2. fill the holes with wood putty and repaint.
    3. sit on your back deck with a cold beer and a tennis racquet and smack them when you can.

The key is killing the ones you can AND filling their holes as fast as they make them. Do that religiously for this season and they'll likely not come back.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 06:25 AM
    I thought this link would be helpful:

Carpenter Bees | University of Kentucky Entomology

They do bore a decent size hole, so those do need to be patched.

I got from this link they like to bore into UNPAINTED surfaces, which usually is the bottom of railings, so may need to paint those surfaces after all holes are filled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Carpenter Bees [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shed in my backyard, it sit on a cement pad about 3-4 inches off the ground. I have carpenter bees drilling holes in the 1x3 under the wood siding in the front of the shed. There are quite a few males flying around to the point that the children cannot enter the yard without being swarmed....

How can I get rid of carpenter bees? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a log house and every spring, carpenter bees make holes in the logs. What can I do to get rid of them?

Carpenter bees [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently found an alarming number of carpenter bees in my front yard. Under further investigation I have found many holes and believe they are nesting in a large apple tree. I am not even able to pick up the fallen apples because of the sheer number of bees. I need to know how I can get...

Carpenter Bees [ 2 Answers ]

What canyou get to get rid of carpenter bees?

Carpenter Bees and Carpenter ants [ 2 Answers ]

What can be done to prevent carpenter bees from drilling holes in cedar siding on buildings?

View more questions Search