Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cool_dude Posts: 124, Reputation: 9

Mar 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
    surface area of parallelepiped
    Can someone please explain to me how I would get the surface area of a parallelepiped if I'm given three vectors of the parallelepiped.

*parallelepiped is parallelogram only 3-dimensional.

Also what's the difference between geometric and algebraic vectors?

Edit: I know surface area = 2lw +2lh + 2wh but how would I solve this qusetion if I'm given 3 vectors. Please explain by giving me an example of random 3 vectors.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
    I believe you should be able to calculate the magnitude of each vector and randomly assign each one as l, w, and h and then apply that to the formula you provided.

sorry i didn't provide the example you wanted. I think my description should be simple enough that you don't need it.
    I'm sure you know that the magnitude of a 3d vector is

Mar 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I did know that's how you get magnitude of the vector. What I didn't know was you can randomly assign the magnitude of each vector to l,w,h.

Edit: what's the difference between algebraic and geometric vectors? I think geometric has to do with 3-dimensional. Can't remember.

Mar 2, 2007, 07:29 AM
    I'm not sure what "algebraic" vs "geometric" vectors are either, do we need to figure this out or just curiosity? As far as randomly assigning to l,w,h. Imagine you're trying to calculate the surface area of a sheet of paper. If WxH is 8.5x11 or 11x8.5 it's still going to have the same surface area.
    Now of course your 3 vectors must all share a common endpoint otherwise they won't really be describing the shape in question but I assume that much is a given.
    Good luck
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 07:36 AM
    How do you define length, width and height for a parallelepiped? If it's just along the edges then I don't think your surface area equation is right, that's for a cuboid.

Mar 2, 2007, 08:05 AM
    I think it's right. Area of a parallelogram is just w*h
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 08:11 AM
    But the height isn't the length of a side, it's height perpendicular to the base...

Mar 2, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Oh capuchin, why'd you have to go and make it so difficult :)
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 08:31 AM
    That's what i do

Mar 2, 2007, 11:17 AM
    sorry my original answer was wrong.

how's this sound:
    I'll call the vectors x,y,z

first find the normalized vector for each vector.

we have 3 unique sides, the xy, xz, yz sides. We'll find the area for those then multiply by 2.
    Lets' work xy and the others will be obvious.
    Pick one vector to be the base lets choose x. The length of this vector with be the width of the parallelogram. We need the height.
    now we calculate the angle between x and y

(that's a dot product, not a multiply)

now the height of the parallelogram is

so

you can do the same for xz and yz sides

how's that look?

Mar 2, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Thanks guys. I wanted to know what the difference between algebraic and geometric vectors because sometimes it would say that in the book and I didn't know the difference. My teacher kind of explained it so its okay.

Yes Capuchin you like to overcomplicate things! Lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Surface area and volume of hexagonal prisms? [ 6 Answers ]

:oCould someone please tell me the formula for finding the volume and surface area of a hexagonal prism? My entire PROBE class is confused! Please help!Thanks! :o

Hexagonal surface area and volume [ 5 Answers ]

How to calculate the surface area and volume of a hexagonal prism?

Formula for finding volume and surface area [ 1 Answers ]

What is the formula for finding the volume and surface area of hexagonal prism and octagonal prism?? :confused:

Geometry (surface area) [ 15 Answers ]

Hello! I am having difficulty answering this question. If someone can please tell me how to solve these geometry problems, I will be very grateful! Thank you in advance! =) Find the surface area of the following regular polyhedra to the nearest cm^2 (squared). a. Tetrahedron with edge length...

Indoor court surface [ 1 Answers ]

What are professional indoor tournament courts made from? I've heard of the term "carpet" and that it's 2nd only to grass in terms of ball speed. What exactly is it? Also, is the rebound ace material on the courts at the Aussie Open different from actual hardcourt? How about the US open...

View more questions Search