Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    devang21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Box 16 of form W-2
    Hi

I had one doubt before I call for clarification about it to my HR. The problem is in my w2 form box 16 which should contain income earned from NY state but it shows my total income i.e. it also includes the income which I earned in the state of Texas. If I am not wrong Box 16 should only contain the income earned in the state of NY and not the total income. Please advise me if I am wrong.
    In short since I've earned income from two different states the value in Box1 and Box 16 should be different, am I right?

Thanking in advance,
    Devang

PS: In my w2 form there is small note which is as follows:
    New York requires total Federal wagesto be reported in Box 16 --does this statement mean that box 16 should also contain the 2005 income even though I didn't earn in NY state, because of this I get less refund from State tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Devang:

Even though the total income is reported in Box 16, you need only report the NY-based income when you file as a part-year resident of NY. I just got done dealing with a similar problem with one of my clients.

Assuming you know what you earned in Texas and what you earned in NY, making the distinction on the return is not too difficult.

Feb 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Ya there is some seggregation given in the part which is to be kept with me(I hope you understood what I meant) about the NY. State Wages,Tips, Etc. and there it's written Box 16 of W2 but it shows the box 1 amount in box 16 which includes Texas income too.
    So my question is if I show the NY income in my state return then how'll they know about my income from NY because the copy which I'll be attaching with my return has the total income from both the states in Box 16, do they have some way to find out my NY income? Or do I've to attach the copy of my w2 form to show them the proof of my NY income? Or is this w2 form not right? If yes, should I ask my employer to issue me a w2 form with correct amount in box 16 rather than showing my total income from 2 states?

Please help me with this is such a big mess.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Attach the copy of the W-2 which segregates the income between NY and TX. They'll get the idea!

Feb 27, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Thanks a lot!

Not to burden you with much but some of my colleagues here went to H&R Block for filing their returns and they asked them to file as non resident even though they were here since May,2005. Are they right?

Can you tell what all forms are to be filed for NY state tax as Partly resident?
    I read that there are some other forms to be filed if we've W2 forms and extension form(since I'm waiting for my wife ITIN #)

Thanking again!
    And keep up the good work I think many of us got lot of help in filing through this forum.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 28, 2006, 09:35 AM
    No, they are not right. If you were in country on a H-1 or H-1B visa since May 2005, you were clearly in country for more than 183 days and qualify to file as a resident alien under the Substantial Presence Test.

There is a non-resident/part-year resident NY state tax form; I believe it is IT-203, but I am not sure off the top of my head. Access the NY state website to review the available tax forms.

I am sure that NY state has an extension form, but if you are getting a refund, filing it really is not required, as you have already paid the tax.
    smiley55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
    I just want to add a point here with the partial knowledge I have w.rt taxes filing in US.

For your query of : some of my colleagues here went to H&R Block for filing their returns and they asked them to file as non resident even though they were here since May,2005. Are they right?

Ans: This could be because they were not exactly resident of NY ( a guess). They were working in NY and staying in NJ. Then applying non-resident could be appropriate.

Pardon me if I am wrong in the provided info. Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
    You DO know you are responding to a post that is OVER six years old, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-OPT tax form? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was in F1 status upto: sep 31st, 2005. My OPT( Optional Practical Training) started in Oct 2005. Since Oct 2005 I have been working as a contractor. So , Can anyone please tell me what tax form I need to file 1040 (or) 1040NR ? Waiting for the reply, ...

Which tax form?f1-opt-h1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am single and frm india.my status n US stay hv been: f1-5jan-31 dec 2004 f1-1st jan 2005-10 feb 2005 Opt-11 feb 2005-30 sept 2005 h1b visa-1 oct 2005 till date I hv a question about which tax form should I use for tax year 2005 and am I a resident or non-resident alien?also note...

Which Tax Form [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got my H1 visa in Oct 2004. Last year I filed for 1040NREZ form. I got married this year in Feb. My wife joined me over here on a H4 visa. She got her admissions in university for Fall semester with assitantship. So he got her visa status changed to F1. So which tax form can I file. ...

What Tax Form I should use [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. I was on OPT for first 3 months then turned to H1B for the rest of the year. I worked for the same company so I have only one W2 form. I also have some stock in my company that I purchased. I also donated some amount for which I can claim tax exemption. Last year I went...

Which Form? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am confused as to which form to fill. My H1B started in Nov 2004 and bfore that I was on OPT. Also, I originally filed my returns for 2004 using the 1040EZ form, and then later realised that I might have had to use th 1040NR-EZ form. If I am right, how do I proceed. Do I use the 1040X...

View more questions Search