Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    star407 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
    HOW TO MAKE smearcase
    Does Anyone Know How To Make Smearcase The Old Fashion Way?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Hi Star. My goodness! I haven't thought about smearcase in YEARS. You now have me itching to make it. I found this recipe that is served at the Chameleon Café in Maryland. It is from Chesapeake Life Magazine.

Chesapeake Life Magazine
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
    This is the best recipe I have found for smearcase. I tried at least 25 diff recipes on my own guessing at the ingredients, and came very close but the recipe given here is the real deal. I knew cottage cheese was involved because all of the oldtimers I asked about smearcase immediately said that's cottage cheese (German). The only ingred I has never experimented with was cornstarch so based on my experience you need plenty of cottage cheese, several eggs and cornstarch.
    My good friend's mother was raised in East Baltimore and she served it all the time. We found it at Fishers Bakery in Ellicott City MD on the West side of Baltimore. I have looked in at least 500 cookbooks, talked to people in German restaurants and markets and all I get is a blank stare.
    When I first visited ASKME the word smearcase was on the first page that opened. I couldn't believe it. God wanted me to have the recipe!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 06:11 AM
    I just received a PM from someone who couldn't find the recipe on that link I gave in May. It is still there, but you have to scroll through the recipes to find it. Here is a direct link to the German Smearcase recipe:
    Chesapeake Life, recipes & food articles, Chesapeake Bay region
    caroles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Growing up in pa dutch country I was eating cottage cheese and homemade apple butter I love it today my great grandmother called it smeer-case
    Carole
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Smearcase to just about everyone I have talked to about it, and there have been many--means cottage cheese--and that includes the lady next door who was born and raised in Germany.
    My friend who I mentioned in my earlier post tried to find the recipe in PA Dutch country and had no success. I think that the dessert may have originated in the Baltimore area and was referred to as smearcase because cottage cheese is one of the ingredients.
    I have tried the recipe provided by rubypitbull (above link) many times and it is fantastic. I just tried the link and it no longer leads to the recipe, but if anyone wants it and posts a request here I can provide it.
    stew7962 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
    I'd love if you could post the smearcase recipe. I've always gotten it from a bakery in baltimore but isn't real close so only get it at most once a year. Would love to make my own.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2012, 08:21 PM
    Stew,
    I have the recipe in my hand right now but I have to figure out the best way to put it here. I may have to just type it in here directly and I don't have time to do that right now.
    I will try and post it within 48 hours.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2012, 02:54 AM
    Below is the recipe from the link that was given above (and is no longer available) in the early replies for this question. Notes in and below recipe are just some things that we have noticed in using the recipe several times. You may use or ignore the notes. My Navy friend who got me started eating this dessert, and whose mother was raised in East Baltimore and fed it to him for about 50 years—says that this recipe is the “real deal”. We found it being sold in a bakery in Ellicott City about 10+ years ago too.

German Smearcase (aka German Smear Cake)
    Crust: (Note: pre-made crusts work fine unless you want it thicker like bakeries usually serve it)
    1 cup flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ cup sugar
    1 egg, 1 tablespoon butter, ¼ cup milk
    Grease a 13-by- 9 inch baking pan. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together until a dough is formed. Press dough into pan using floured hands.

Filling
    1 pound cottage cheese (large curd)
    8 ounces cream cheese (Note: Softening in microwave first helps)
    8 tablespoons cornstarch
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 and ¼ cups milk
    1 and ½ cups sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon (Note: adding cinnamon after fully cooked works best for us)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Push the cottage cheese through a fine mesh. Cream the cottage cheese and cream cheese with the paddle of a mixer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch. Mix in the eggs, 1 at a time until blended. Add vanilla, butter, milk, and sugar, and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Carefully pour mixture over crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until cake has set.
    Notes (not in original recipe): The bakeries we have seen smearcase sold in, normally prepare it thicker (like a cake) instead of thinner like a pie. If you just use graham cracker pre-made crusts or frozen pie crusts, this mix will probably make two “pies”. If you use a deeper pan, one thicker “cake” may utilize all the filling. Suggest having an extra crust and/or some small tart-type pans available the first time you use the recipe in case you have filling left over. Also, this is a very runny filling and it is best to finish filling the baking pan(s) after the pan has been set onto the shelf. We don't screen the cott. Cheese-mixing pretty well liquifies it.
    We cook for about 45 minutes (5 minutes more than recipe calls for) but maybe less in different ovens.
    Even when fully cooked, it will be somewhat “liquidy”, but sets up as it cools. If you see any brown spots at all start to appear on the surface (we don't add cinnamon until we have taken out of the oven so that we can see the top of the cake/pie better) but if any brown spots appear-remove from oven. We had one occasion where we got our timing off and it didn't set properly. Splenda works in place of sugar but changes taste a little. Checking with a toothpick should produce some residue on toothpick but watch for brown spots. If seen, take out of oven.
    dfterp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2013, 02:44 PM
    I recently was on a quest too, to find the recipe for smearcase that a now closed local restaurant served with apple butter, and served with soda crackers or bread. Here's the downsized recipe:

1 large container cottage cheese
    2 Tbsp softened cream cheese
    Tiny bit of salt
    Tiny bit of white pepper

Blend until smooth.
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2013, 03:13 PM
    You are talking about something else, maybe that in your area is called by the same name? A pudding perhaps? Tapioca clone?
    The recipe I cited came from a restaurant on the eastern shore of Maryland.
    Without the sugar, cornstarch, milk, eggs, and a lot more cream cheese you can't get anywhere close to what I am talking about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NO make-up! [ 42 Answers ]

I'm 13 and my mom won't let me wear make-up, but my dad will. She won't give in. She also won't let me date. I'm sooo mad at her, but I try not to show it. What should I do? PLEASE DON'T ANSWER WITH YOU'RE TO YOUNG ETC. kay thanks! :confused:

How to make a. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I want to know how to make a ouji bord I know you can make it some how and I want to try one knowing the danger I will be with at least one other maybe two other friend I have contacted the dead before at least I have believed I have my grandmother on perpouse and a ghost I think is in my...

Make up [ 1 Answers ]

I have to live as a woman for a while to win a bet. Because of some limitations I have to do make up myself. Can you guide me how do I do it step by step?

Make up [ 1 Answers ]

How much make up is used each year

View more questions Search