Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forloveofpete Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Sink water causing tub to back up
    Why is it that when I run water from my sink, it gurgles and causes water to come up from my tub drain
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
    The sink ties into the tub drain. This problem means that you have a clog in the tub drain.

Best solution for this issue is to locate the bathtub trap and remove it. You might find that the clog is in the trap. If the clog is not in the trap, then you need to snake the line going away from the trap.

Alternatively, you can try to snake the line from the overflow tube at the tub. See the picture here for reference:
    Ask Me Help Desk - View Single Post - Bathtub p trap

Mar 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
    House with old plumbing and low water pressure
    I have a 1916 3 bedroom house with old plumbing. One bathroom upstairs. The water pressure is low. My toilet sometimes flushes and other times partially flushes. My bathroom sink was clogged and I used liquid plumber to unclog it. It with appeared to work but now when I run the sink water comes up from the tub drain. The kitchen sink seems to be fine. What would be a ballpark figure on a complete re-plumbing job.

Mar 22, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Thank you very much. I had a feeling it was a clog but I thought it was just the sink. I guess in 1916 that was how they did plumbing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Can you reach the tub trap from below or is it boxed in by a ceiling? You can rod down the tub overflow plate once you remove the plate. Unclog Tub Drain
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
    We can't give an estimate, a good plumber would take at least several hours on site to make an estimate. Call 3 plumbing contractors for bids. Sounds like you have both a supply and a drain issue. The drain issue could be resolved by having a pro rod all of your lines with a sewer auger. Replacing a drain line is rarely needed but with a 100 year old home anything can go bad.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Bob's right we can't give you a estimate without any knowledge of how much material and labor it will take. We can ,however, help with the other problems.
    The water pressure is low
    This is causes by iron oxide build up in the old galvanized piping which cuts down on the volume. The solution would be to repipe with plastic. ( I had the same problem.)
    when I run the sink water comes up from the tub drain.
    You have a blockage downstream from your bath tub. The solution would be to snake from the tub overflow ,(see image). Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. After you snake pour a few pans of boiling water down the drain. This will loosen the grease and flush the mess out into the main.
    My toilet sometimes flushes and other times partially flushes.
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.. Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water back up in tub from sink and toilet? [ 1 Answers ]

Water back up in tub and toilet flush slow water from kicthen sink and washer go to the tub

Toilet leaking around base, back up into tub when flush, kitchen sink back up [ 3 Answers ]

Seem like everything is back up. Recently I've been having issue with my plumbing all around. The toilet seems to be backing up into the tub and is leaking around the base. I could hear water bubble sound coming up the toilet when I try to run water down the tub. As for the kitchen sink it seems to...

Only warm water from bathroom sink taps but hot water from bath tub tap [ 0 Answers ]

I get hot water from kitchen sink tap and from bath tub tap but only warm water from sink taps in both bathrooms.If I turn on the bath tub tap the warm water at sink taps will get hot but only if I turn on the bath tub hot water tap.The only change that I made was to move the water heater from the...

Why does the bathroom sink back up into the tub [ 1 Answers ]

The bathroom tub and sink drain into each other. We have taken the pipes apart and cleaned them all the way to the basement wall. They drain fine when pipes are apart in the basement, but don't drain when put back together. Why

New Dishwasher causing sink to back up [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since our new dishwasher was installed, our kitchen sink backs up. We do not have a garbage disposal. Do I need a special vent?

View more questions Search