Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Is a crown always required after a root canal?
    So, I have had 2 root canals since my last post here (about the laughing gas) and I am wondering, do I absolutely NEED crowns put on those teeth? Tooth number 12 as well as 4. Tooth number 12 doesn't seem to need any strenthening but that's just my humble opinion. So... do I need a crown or can I go without it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:46 AM

Hi Mini, there are three reasons a dentist will recommend a crown, and it actually depends on the location for cosmetic reasons (one of the reasons); to strengthen the tooth or to restore the tooth to its original shape. I have bypassed a crown after root canal and just had the tooth filled and evened off because it was in the back of my mouth. That was my preference and of course there is the expense too.

It is up to you. You don't have to have a crown if you don't want one.

Tick

Dec 3, 2010, 07:52 AM

THANKS! That's great to hear! So, is it true that if I don't get a crown the tooth will break or fall out later on?

I like your response because I do NOT want to get those crowns!
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    THANKS! That's great to hear! So, is it true that if I don't get a crown the tooth will break or fall out later on?

I like your response because I do NOT want to get those crowns!
    You may get other opinions, but to tell you the truth,Mini, I had that particular tooth root canalled l5 years ago, no crown, and its been fine. I take care of my teeth though with regular check ups every 6 months. So basically I practice preventative maintenance, maybe that's why I have never had a problem. I have a two other permanent bridges, it isn't like I don't have them in my mouth.

Tick

Dec 3, 2010, 08:05 AM

Permanent bridges... what are those?
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    Permanent bridges...what are those?
    When I was younger, I had wisdom teeth out, one on each side on the bottom, then I had permanent bridges (bridging the two gaps) of 3 crowns each. That's why they are called permanent bridges, they bridge over a gap from a lost tooth.

Mini, just because you had a root canal doesn't mean your tooth will fall out eventually, it won't. If there is enough of your tooth left and you don't mind a filling, then there is no reason why you have to have a crown. Not, unless your dentist has a very good reason to put one one. But they will always try to sell crowns and bridges.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Crowns are generally recommended on teeth that have large fillings on them. If a tooth has also had a root canal the tooth is at risk of breaking since there is no nerve or moisture in the tooth and it becomes brittle. It can break when eating something as soft as scrambled eggs. When a tooth that has had a root canal breaks it normally breaks in a way that the only treatment is removal of the tooth.

If your teeth that have had root canals are not used for heavy duty chewing or biting you may be able to get away without a crown.

As tick says though, it is truly up to you. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

If you were my family member I would definitely agree with a crown on a back molar after root canal.
    trntogl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
    I have a crown after a root canal and it is continuously bleeding under the crown when I brush my teeth. I am going to have them take it off and leave it off. My dentist cannot see an infection under the crown but I cannot understand why it continues to bleed when I brush. I am not comfortable with this whole thing and want it off. My tooth never gave me problems before the root canal. Don't think I needed one at all.
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trntogl View Post
    I have a crown after a root canal and it is continuously bleeding under the crown when I brush my teeth. I am going to have them take it off and leave it off. My dentist cannot see an infection under the crown but I cannot understand why it continues to bleed when I brush. I am not comfortable with this whole thing and want it off. My tooth never gave me problems before the root canal. Don't think I needed one at all.
    The only problem I see with this is what is under fhe crown is 'stub' of a tooth and all teeth work better when they can 'seat'. You may be causing more problems then you want by having the crown off. I guess it all depends on how rough you are brushing around that area.
    trntogl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Thanks for your response, I'm actually not brushing hard at all, in fact the opposite. I can be driving in my car, not even touching my crown and taste blood, it just starts. I floss regularly, which starts it up again, can't explain it.
    Leslee83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
    I had arrow canal and mt doctor didn't even talk about getting a crown. Now after 1 year I am researching what to do because my tooth just broke. It is just awful that I didn't get the chance to get that crown. Now I paid $2000 for a root canal a year ago and I have to go get it either built up and crowned or extracted and put in an implant!
    verybad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 08:44 AM
    NEVER GET A ROOT CANAL...
    WHY? Even with Crown, it will break off flush with gum line within 15-20 years
    I've had 6 go this way. BUT I WAS a smoker... quit now but too late, as my teeth need 25k worth of work.. Money I will not speed, as I buy many Hand guns, ammo, and machine guns...
    leeloojulia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
    It depends. I am so regret to put the crown on my front tooth. The dentist said it was at risk after root canals. To prevent lose the tooth, I had the crown. But it only lasted for 2 weeks! My entire tooth fell off. Now I know the truth. I lost some part of the tooth after the root canal. Then I lost more part to put the crown on. The left part was too little to hold the crown. In my situation, if I do not put the crown, it is only at risk to lose the tooth. With the crown, I lost my tooth permanently.
    missyjean Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 03:03 AM
    A few things could be the problem here... 1. Do you floss on a daily basis? If not then you don't have healthy gums around the crown margin and 2. How are those crown margins which you will never know. It is not recommended to take the crown off and leave it that way. In fact I son't know any dentist that will do that. You will create an entirely different problem. Go for a 2nd opinion if you are not getting results with your dentist.

May 31, 2012, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by verybad View Post
    NEVER GET A ROOT CANAL.....
    WHY? Even with Crown, it will break off flush with gum line within 15-20 years
    I've had 6 go this way. BUT I WAS a smoker...quit now but too late, as my teeth need 25k worth of work..Money I will not speed, as I buy many Hand guns, ammo, and machine guns....
    That is not true... with good oral health care and a proper crown they will last 25 plus years and the most common reason why it has to be replaced or extracted is because of recurrent decay at the gum line.

May 31, 2012, 03:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hi Mini, there are three reasons a dentist will recommend a crown, and it actually depends on the location for cosmetic reasons (one of the reasons); to strengthen the tooth or to restore the tooth to its original shape. I have bypassed a crown after root canal and just had the tooth filled and evened off because it was in the back of my mouth. That was my preference and of course there is the expense too.

It is up to you. You don't have to have a crown if you don't want one.

Tick
    Then you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Usually the tooth is recommended for a crown because you have removed the pulp (blood source) to the tooth. When you do this the tooth tends to get brittle. If you had a large filling in the tooth or decay that went to the nerve (which is usually the case if RCT needed) you run a great risk of breaking the tooth beyond saving. I have workind in a dental office for ober 26 years and have had many patients regret not getting the cap because they ended up having to extract the tooth. There is no way of telling who will be the lucky one and who won't. Highly recommended to crown your Rootcanal teeth.
    Lil Ray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Been reading up quiet a bit on root canals since my dental insurance SUCKS!. I have to have one on tooth # 15. Is it a possibility to get a root canal done and then in a couple of months have the crown put on? My dentist will only take cash or a finance plan at 26% interest...
    Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by missyjean View Post
    Then you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Usually the tooth is recommended for a crown because you have removed the pulp (blood source) to the tooth. When you do this the tooth tends to get brittle. If you had a large filling in the tooth or decay that went to the nerve (which is usually the case if RCT needed) you run a great risk of breaking the tooth beyond saving. I have workind in a dental office for ober 26 years and have had many patients regret not getting the cap because they ended up having to extract the tooth. There is no way of telling who will be the lucky one and who won't. Highly recommended to crown your Rootcanal teeth.
    Hi missyjean, at almost 70 have all my teeth, some crowns and some bridges. Have worked with peridontists, and am now in a medical field. Actually never had any trouble with that tooth, so I guess I am a lucky one and it all depends on how well you take care of your mouth, so you can keep what you have got because nothing ever replaces original equipment. :)
    Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ray View Post
    Been reading up quiet a bit on root canals since my dental insurance SUCKS!... I have to have one on tooth # 15. Is it a possibility to get a root canal done and then in a couple of months have the crown put on? My dentist will only take cash or a finance plan at 26% interest....
    He will put on a temporary crown, but that is only good for a short while; talk to him about it. How much does your dental pay? Is it not manageable?
    THE TRUTH 8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
    Maybe this will help; my teeth used to bleed all the time, ALL THE TIME, Every time I BRUSHED MY TEETH. BUT THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS AND IT'S WORKING: 1. Try taking 1,000 - 2,000 mg of VITAMIN C everyday (CAPSULES OR POWDER IS BEST). Vitamin C helps stregnthen the gums, tissues, and inhibits bleeding. I can brush hard (which is never recommended) and there is no bleeding. Now my gums may bleed just a little when I floss between my large teeth by pressing hard on the gums to get out food but that's about it. I can't promise taking Vitamin C will do the trick but IT DID FOR ME BIG TIME!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a root canal and needed crown lengthening but got billed for a crown? [ 10 Answers ]

I went to a new dentist for a horrible tooth ache. They took a full set of X-rays which is fine but I just needed them to look at the one tooth ASAP. I was told I needed a root canal, crown lengthening, and porcelien crown. I could not afford everything at once so I did the root canal the next day...

Is a must a root canal before a crown [ 2 Answers ]

Do you always need a root canal before you have a tooth crown?

Root canal/crown [ 1 Answers ]

I had a crown and root canal earlier this year. I also have 2 crowns next to it. #16 is crown/canal, # 15, 14 have crowns no root canals. I don't feel those 2 bothering me, They are not sensitive or any other feelings to them. The # 16 has ( or seems) to be bothering me. I went to the dentist...

Root Canal/Crown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I had root canal and crown done 4.5 yrs ago, 6 months ago, I felt pain from that tooth, and got it checked lately... my dentist said that its infected and shaky... option given was either I extract it or redo the whole process of root canal and new crown? I thot root canal is ridding the...

Why not do a root canal before crown [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know why my dentist did 4 crowns 3 weeks ago. It has been hurting very bad and now I need two root canals on two of the teeth.

View more questions Search