Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JenS138 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Plan B pill
    Will it do any good to take a plan B pill when it has been 88 hours since a unprotected intercourse?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Information on Plan B;

The sooner you take it the better. The risk of pregnancy for the one episode of unprotected intercourse is 0.5 percent if the pill is taken within 12 hours; the risk increases to 4 percent if Plan B is started 72 hours after exposure. The FDA approved Plan B to be taken up to 72 hours after exposure, but some studies have found it can reduce pregnancy rates even if taken 120 hours after having sex. In general, when compared to a placebo, Plan B prevents 80 percent of pregnancies if taken in the “up to 72 hour” time frame.
    Found here:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...bODOvQ&cad=rja

In other words. You should take it within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and the sooner the lower the odds of pregnancy. But some studies (and those studies are subjective) show that any time before 120 hours can reduce the risk, just not as much as it would if you took it immediately, or at least within the 72 hours time frame.

Of course I'm sure you know that even with the Plan B, even if taken right after sex, pregnancy is still possible. Like birth control, plan B only reduces the odds of pregnancy. It does not claim to completely eliminate the risks of pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plan b pill [ 0 Answers ]

If I started my birth control pills last Sunday and was not regualarly taking them like I was suppose to like I would miss a day and take both pills the following day and I had unprotected sex this Sunday and I start my pill pack on Sunday should I be fine or should I get the plan be pill to be...

Plan b pill. [ 1 Answers ]

On the last day of my period I had sex at 3 in the morning and the following day took the plan b pill just in case, so its been a week now and I was suppose to start ovulating today but instead started bleeding. Is this supposed to happen?

Plan B Pill [ 16 Answers ]

I had sex yesterday and my fiancé ejaculated in me and now I'm afraid I'll get pregnant I bought the Plan B Pill but I'm a little nervous about taking it. Ive had problems with my stomach for the last few years but I don't really have any allergies to anything and I finished my period this...

Plan b pill [ 1 Answers ]

If I had unprotected sex yesterday. Then I have unprotected sex today. And I take the plan be pill right after. Is it still going to be effective?

Plan B and the pill? [ 1 Answers ]

48 hours ago, a condom got stuck inside me and today I received my prescription for Plan B from my doctor. I just took my first dose of Plan B, waiting the mandatory 12 hours to take dosage number two. I AM on the pill, but my doctor suggested that I take Plan B since I had been very erratic with...

View more questions Search