Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rauthree Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
    How do you go about making a terraced garden?
    Wanting to make a terraced garden down the hill in my back yard. Any good ideas on how to make it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
    Mostly it depends on the area you live in. Some may require drainage paths so the water can seep through the levels. In other areas its not needed. Also you need to plan ahead as to what your going to be planting on them. All of that should be taken into account when you start planning. Also make a plan and put it on paper first. Then build a list of needed materials.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
    Visit Google and put in terraced gardens. You need pictures and/or a landscaper.

This garden arrangement is not easy, probably because your property has too much of a slope.

You will have to spend a lot of money to do it properly, otherwise would be beyond your scope
    Jae G Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Terraced gardens - A lovely addition to a sloped garden! Usually made with landscape timbers, stone, or boulders. The material depends on which look you prefer and the access to your site. Boulders require machinery but are excellent for bigger slopes and larger areas if readily available. Stacked stone is a lovely, high-end look and is good when budget isn't a factor, or if it's a small project you will enjoy doing yourself. With stone, the most important thing is to stagger the stones so the joints do not form a vertical line, and set each course back 1/4 - 1/2" behind the lower course to help provide stability.

Most homeowners opt for landscape timbers.

When installing timbers or stone, you will likely use a cut and fill method, where you remove material from below where you will install the wall, and add it above. You will need a footer base, which is a first course set down in the soil at least 8" for stability.

If you use timbers, you will need to be sure to install "deadmen", timbers that work as a horizontal anchor to keep your wall from falling forward over time under the pressure of the soil behind it. Don't skip this critical step. If it's a large area or will end up being over 3' tall, you may want to hire a pro, as drainage and retention get more difficult.

In any case, Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would you prefer.. Happy making 50K a year or unhappy making 100k a year [ 10 Answers ]

I have a job interview on 5/7/10 with a medical sales company and this is a question in know they will ask. How should I reply?

98 accord making clunking noise when making hard left turn [ 3 Answers ]

My 98 accord ia making a clunk, clunk, clunk sound when making hard left turns. It only does this with left turns a slow speed like making a u-turn. It actually seems to make the car bounce a little with each clunk. It is definitely not a clicking noise. I have just put a prelude h22 engine with...

Secret garden 3# [ 527 Answers ]

Yep the gates still open and we still haven't found the key, nothing changes really just to busy to be looking for it. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/theenchantress/doorrothesecretgarden.jpg Keep smiling, keep laughing and don't forget where the garden and your friends are...

Garden furniture [ 2 Answers ]

I want to repaint some wooden garden furniture - can I use ordinary emulsion paint? :confused:

Deck Pier & Footing on Terraced ground [ 2 Answers ]

I am putting in a small front porch/deck 8'x8'. The front is terraced, dropping down in 4' steps to the next level. I am trying to keep this simple, but get as close to the terrace edge as practical. 3494 The two questions are (1) given well-designed retaining walls supported with...

View more questions Search