Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggie0764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
    New smoke detectors to go off?
    I have 4 smoke/fire and carbon monoxide detectors that are hard wired and have 9 volt battery back up system. They all went off in the middle of the night for no reason. The fire department came to my house, and told me to simply replace them. I went out and bought 4 new ones, installed them, and as soon as I turned on the circuit breaker the alarms started going off again. It's not dust, and the batteries don't need replacement, all 4 are brand new. What could be causing this problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Are you 100% positive you bought 4 that are designed to be connected so when goes off they all go off? These units are specially design. I do lots of this install and had some difficulty with install 4 in series. Which model/brand did you buy?
    maggie0764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
    Kidde firex model#kn-cosm-ib

Mar 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
    Page 13 goes over the proper wiring. Did you have this same model before and reuse the wiring "plug" or did you install a new plug. Here are a few other things. Remove all 120 vac plugs and test each unit with battery only, make sure all 4 work. Yesy between the black and the white wire, should get 120 vac.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
    You could power down that circuit, disconnect the interconnect wire at each(usually orange or yellow), and see which is detecting something.
    They may be detecting something.
    A Red Light May go on the detector that is triggering.
    All else, see if you have voltage on all of the interconnect wires.
    Any recent wiring?

Mar 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Strat, this models interconnect is black, white, red. Pretty much like a 3 way traveler.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
    If Black, white and red, I have seen people reverse the power and interconnect wires.

Mar 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
    Hard to do but not impossible. This model comes with a plug with white, black and red pigtail for you to tie in your lines. You'd have to make a pig with a black and a white. You did not do that did you Maggie?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke detectors going off [ 12 Answers ]

Our smoke/fire detectors went off in the middle of the night--the one downstairs first, then the one upstairs, with no detectable cause. We opened some windows and the shrieking stopped. What could have caused this? This morning as we sat at the breakfast table, a bright light flashed above...

Smoke Detectors [ 10 Answers ]

I am replacing 11 year old detectors which have been producing false alarms... The existing harness wires are BLACK, WHITE and YELLOW... The new detectors have harness wires which are BLACK, White and RED... I'm not sure what to do with the existing YELLOW and new RED wires... Thank you in...

Smoke detectors going off without smoke once in a hour? [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are going off simultaneously through out the house once every hour. And it continues for 5-10 minutes before stopping. No smoke is there in any part of the house at those times. IT is happening first time and the winter temperatures are around 30 deg outside. The smoke...

Smoke detectors [ 0 Answers ]

As part of a renovation I am thinking about running electric to my smoke detectors in my ranch house from the basement. I have a couple of questions. - Are there combination smoke/CO2 detectors that can inter-communicate ? - Do these units need to be replaced every 5 years? - Can the units...

Smoke detectors going off [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are wired and have a battery in them. Theyare going off during the day about 10 20 times during the day, but after 6pm they do not go off at all. I changed all batteries and re set the breaker in the box but nothing.Please help me because they are driving my wife and kids crazy...

View more questions Search