Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gmancan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Glue cpvc pipe?
    I have not worked with CPVC pipe before the project I'm working now. Customer wants to use CPVC pipe and fittings in conjunction with existing PVC. I've been told by various suppliers that the glue used for CPVC and the glue used for PVC are not compatible. I know I can use mechanical connections to join the two different types of pipe in some areas but not all. There must be a glue manufactured that will work to join PVC and CPVC or I would think one of the glues would work for both types. If anyone else has experienced my dilemma or knows with 100% certainty one way or the other. I welcome your responses and input.

Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Hi Gmancan

Yeah, PVC and CPVC expand/contract at different rates and, as you noted, therefore require different cements.

In your case, you may want to consider installing a CPVC x FEMALE threaded transition fitting (see image). Install this CPVC transition fitting to the CPVC and then install a PVC male adapter into the female part of the fitting and you have officially transitioned between the two plastics successfully... ;)

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
    CPVC solvent cement is stronger than plain PVC cement. If you use CPVC cement it will work on both. There are all purpose cements that work on both and ABS too. Try Oatey All Purpose Cement http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/...se_Cement.html
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 07:33 AM
    Check local codes... in my area that stuff is not allowed for anything except drainage/vent plumbing!

AT the site you linked to, Bob they even have an asterisk next to CPVC... any idea why?

Thanks...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 08:23 AM
    No clue about the asterisk Mark. Should refer to something at the bottom of the page but there is nothing there. Not all codes will allow the use of All Purpose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC vs CPVC and the glue to use with them [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing the piping at the shower stall. The existing pipes say CPVC and Ihave a can of glue that reads PVC. Should Ibuy another or can I use this?

What kind of glue did he use on CPVC piping? [ 2 Answers ]

My question to you is, what kind of glue did he use on CPVC piping. If he used wrong glue that might be the cluprit.

Pvc primer & glue made me sick - used in hot "cpvc" pipe in shower [ 2 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE!! PVC PRIMER & GLUE MADE ME SICK - USED IN HOT "CPVC" PIPE IN SHOWER- is this Possible? A friend installed CPVC with regular PVC GLUE AND PRIMER, The FIRST shower I took left me COUGHING and my eyes were BURNING for several days. I thought THE GLUE/PRIMER may have not fully...

Pvc glue on cpvc pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used pvc cement to glue some cpvc fittings to cpvc piping. Am I looking for problems if I don't re-do these joints? Should I re-do both the cold water and hot water joints?

Question on cpvc glue. [ 5 Answers ]

I have dry fit all of the pvc and am now ready to glue it all together. I noticed that when I bought my pvc glue it is the yellow glue for cpvc pipe. Will it work OK on the pvc pipe? The can does not say anything about it. Was hoping someone could tell me here. Thanks, Rob

View more questions Search