Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlhdlhdlh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Soc Sec taxes being withheld at higher rate than allowed
    My employer is withholding my Social security (Employee) at .062. It is my understanding that is the rate the employer pays but the employee should only pay .042. Will I be able to get that back at the end of the year when I do my taxes. I would rather not say anything to the employer about this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 07:50 AM
    I find this: "For 2012, the maximum taxable earnings amount for Social Security is $110,100. Currently, the Social Security tax (OASDI) rate for wages paid in 2012 is 4.2 percent for employees and 6.2 percent for employers.. . For Medicare's Hospital Insurance program, there is no limitation on taxable earnings. Tax rates under the Medicare program are 1.45 percent for employees and employers and 2.90 percent for self-employed persons." 2012 Social Security tax rate and maximum taxable earnings

Have you brought this to the attention of your employer?

Mar 1, 2012, 08:10 AM
    No, I have not brought this to anyone's attention. I would take the lazy way out if I thought I could get that money back at year end but it looks like I need to bring it up. Thank you.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 08:12 AM
    I'd be concerned that if the employer is making this fairly simple mistake - what else is the employer incorrect about?

Mar 1, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Excellent point. I need to stop assuming they're doing everything correctly.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
    Yes, you will get the excess back. If you have paid excess SS tax you can claim a credit on your tax return - on line 69 of form 1040. You just need to make sure that the W2 you receive from your employer at the end of the year shows SS tax withheld that matches with what was actually deducted from your pay.

Mar 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Ok, good. I was hoping that was the case. I will definitely pay attention to all of that and go for it when the time comes but I think I will question that rate when the time is right and I catch them in the right mood.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 09:26 AM
    I'd rather have the money in MY hand now than later!

But good advice -

Mar 1, 2012, 09:31 AM
    ... and it's not like I'm asking them for a favor, and it would benefit the other employees. I just don't want to be thought of as a troublemaker. Thanks for the push in the right direction.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 09:40 AM
    I'm curious - I assume you are talking about over deducting on your paychecks in 2012, but did he also over-deduct from employees' pay in 2011? The rate for employees changed from 6.2% to 4.2% starting in January 2011. I suggest you ask your co-workers whether they are aware of this issue.

Mar 1, 2012, 09:47 AM
    N/A, new job for 2012 which may help you understand why I don't want to be the one to point this out. I'd rather some of the old folks do it.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dlhdlhdlh
    I'd rather some of the old folks do it
    I understand completely, but have you talked to any of the old folks to see if they are aware if the issue? I'm sure they would appreciate the heads up as they do their 2011 tax returns.

Mar 1, 2012, 11:06 AM
    No, I find keeping my mouth shut serves me well until I decide what to do. Remember, I don't want to be a new troublemaker. Now that I have more confidence in my information, thanks to the folks in this conversation, I will bring up the subject. Again, thanks to all for helping me with this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Sum Soc Sec Disability - I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm glad I found this forum. I have about $60k coming to me for Social Security Disability retroactive payments. I owe IRS --- I asked for transcripts, and found I owe about $50K including penalties and interest. Will IRS and Ohio attach the lump sum? How about continuing...

No deduction from paycheck for Soc. Sec. [ 3 Answers ]

While completing my PHD at Eastern Michigan Univ. I also worked as an assistant professor. I gave lectures, tests and met with clients. During those 4 years Eastern Michigan Univ. did not take any Social Security from my paychecks. They claim that because I was a student they were not required...

Soc. Sec. Disability and Deferred Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am 59 years old, permanently disabled for one year now and currently receiving monthly Social Security Disability payments, along with monthly payments from two long term private disability policies. My former employer set up a "deferred compensation" program which generally is paid when an...

Garnishment of soc sec or pension in Florida ? [ 2 Answers ]

Can social security or corporate pensions be garnished if the individual is a Florida resident ?

Soc Sec, Back Taxes and marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I owe back taxes that are taken out of my Social Security disability check each month. This is a long story but what I need to know is if I get married does my problem affect spouse in anyway. Just in case - is there anyone out there that would like to hear my story and help me figure out what to...

View more questions Search