Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnistrue Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Half of my house has no electricity working and box has voltage. Why?
    I have no electricity in half of my home. Someone checked the breaker box with meter and it has power. HELP!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
    You may have 120 volts out of each breaker(and appear good), with 1 phase open.
    Verify 240 volts at panel, verify 240 volts out of 2 pole breakers, then voltage out of each single pole breaker.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
    I agree, you likely have 240 vac coming to the home. If one leg, 120, drops off you would still be able to detect voltage in the panel, just not 240. In the meantime do not test anything that runs on 240 like AC or electric furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water not working in half the house [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house,had the water turned on and only the kitchen faucet and outdoor faucets work. I only get water in the bathroom when the kitchen faucet is on with not much pressure. There are only one shut off, at the main{city water}which is on. I was thinking the valve at the street wasn't...

How can I add more electricity to my house when the breaker box is full? [ 6 Answers ]

I need more electricity in my garage. The breaker box is full, How can I add more?

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

High voltage of electricity [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if high voltage will generate high electric bills. I live in Jamaica and the voltage is 110. (220 for large equipment) My surge protector is giving an abbormal reading because my voltage reading coming in from the meter/transformer is 117 volts (not the 110 that my place is...

Electricity-voltage,current,resistance [ 1 Answers ]

What is voltage,current and resistance? Thanks:) Would help a lot!

View more questions Search