Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnovemb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 01:56 PM

Just want to thank Scottfamily 8 for the help!! And to confirm the final screw is a star screw - and of a smaller bit size than the other 4.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 13, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfamily8 View Post
    Ok, think simple solution.
    These models are "designed" to be able to put your dishes in covered with food. Yeah right!
    The screens and filters below the lower arm get clogged and the the water pressure to the upper arm and roof sprayer gets lower and lower until no water at all comes out.

Simple solution! remove the lower arm. Remove the 4 screws holding the screen and remove it. Clean it!
    Remove the one small screw holding the lower plastic housing, right up front. Remove the housing and you will find a treasure of food stuffs! I found food, plastic fork prongs, grapefruit pits, and small beads! (I have a 2 year old!)

I used a wet/dry shop vac to remove the stuff.

Re-assemble and put a cup face up in the top rack.

Try it on quick rinse and it should fill the cup in about 20 seconds!

And don't call Sears again!
    =
    that voids your warranty. Since we keep going back in time to Dracul's time maybe it will be a while before special tools start to become popular again...
    TonyBranje Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 12:34 PM
    My Kenmore dishwasher was not cleaning items on the top shelf, and its 2 years old. Here are a few things I found:

1- My top shelf has 2 heights. When the shelf is pushed in, the washer spinner has the option of a high water hookup or a low water hookup. While one push-in water hookup is in use, the other is self sealing with a soft rubber "trap door". When I pulled it out, it was not completely sealing, so I permanently plugged it so it wouldn't leak. (If I change the shelf height, I'll have to move the plug).
    2- When I took out the lower shelf, and removed the lower spinner, I was confronted with 4 screws. They should be common screws, but Sears puts in Torx screws to prevent DIY's from gaining access. Fortunately, I had the correct screw driver (#20). After removing the lower pump cover, I found what appeared to be a loose quarter-sized fine mesh filter totally caked. I could not find where it came from, so it was either from the dishwasher or from somewhere besides the dishwasher. After cleaning out the debris in the lower housing, I put everything back together, and voilą, it cleans like a charm. I'll report back in 2 weeks with a progress report.
    mandyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 01:54 PM
    This worked perfectly for us... It was easy and so simple.. I couldn't believe it was something like a toothpick and paper stopping the water flow? But it was... Thank you, thank you, thank you..

P.S. I hate Sears too :o)
    techxlator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 05:57 PM
    These answers got me off to a good start. My Kenmore swore it was self cleaning. Alas.

1)I ended up removing the two plastic grid covers from the middle and back of the machine. Besides the heating coil, they were the only things with hex nuts that you COULD remove.

2) I scrubbed the underside of both of these covers. The center one was NASTY.

3) The center cover reveled a secondary smaller cover that pulled right out. Underneath it was a small silicone well filled with fairly nasty water. I sponged that out and found a lot of debris.

4) After I got all the water and floaters out of the center well, I felt around for the inlet. I found it and discovered several bits of cellophane lodged in the drain screen. I cleaned these all out.

5) I resembled as necessary and ran an empty load with some vinegar.

The results were FANTASTIC! My dishes ACTUALLY come clean! I shouldn't be so amazed, but it has been a long time for this dud of a dishwasher.
    guggesn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
    I did it! I had to make 3 trips to the hardware store, had one site visit by my brother-in-law, I cut two fingers on glass and I may have to go to the ER for a stitch, but I got it done. Oh, and I dropped a screw through the filter plate openings! But I found it after pulling off the filter plate.

The TORX star screw drivers I had to use for a Whirlpool Quiet Partner III were a 20 for the 4 screws holding down the filter plate after you move the sprayer arm out of the way, and a 15 for the one screw holding down the housing to the grinder assembly.

Your advice about using a Shop Vac was where I went wrong. I had loaned it to said brother-in-law the day before, he burned up the motor, so I used my fingers to try and get crap out of the grinder filter location. Bad idea, there was glass in there, and I really cut my fingers good. So use a Shop Vac and TORX 15 and 20 star screw drivers, and you CAN DO THIS!
    Susan
    guggesn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Comment on guggesn's post
    Oh, I forgot to say that the original issue was top rack not cleaning, water pressure was less and less until it just stopped spraying. Then bottom sprayer arm stopped as well, dishes were dirty and unwashed at the end of a cycle. And getting the glass, chicken bones, plastic bits from containers and forks out of there is what fixed the dishwasher. Susan
    ratpack923 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2011, 06:52 PM
    Thank you, I did what was said and I found the following: 3 fake fingernails, cherry seeds, plastic bread tie, string, 2 q-tips (not kidding) and other junk now it pumps a good stream and the dishes are supper clean... thank you, thank you
    kellilee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 09:25 PM
    Just did this. Worked like a champ. Thanks for the advice.
    Darin
    nautiboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 11:12 AM
    Here is a video of how to take it apart...
    http://www.handyguyspodcast.com/462/episode-73-fixing-a-kenmore-elite-dishwasher-that-is-not-cleaning-dishes/
    gtownvac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
    I also dropped a screw the last time.
    I have a magnet at the end of an extension type rod that brought right out.
    Purchase at almost any hardware store.
    monikamonika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
    Thank you so very much! Fixed thanks to these great directions. Thanks Scottfamily8. Tip for those reassembly issues- take a picture with your digital camera or video as you take each piece apart. It helps when you need to put it all back together!
    anon45678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 10:11 AM
    Thanks for this thread! Mine was jammed up with popcorn kernels. Saved me a bunch of time and money and now I don't hate my dishwasher anymore!
    mrskorba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 08:30 AM
    You ROCK!! This is exactly what I was looking for!!
    dklikeabear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
    I have a quite guard 3 dishwasher. And need ti reset the panel. Can you give me the 3button sequence?
    sheika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
    The Kenmore Ultra Wash Quiet Guard is a piece of . We did exactly what you explained and it still does not work. Thank you for your help. I have never liked Sears Appliances or Sears. They are rip off artists. Unfortunately we are living in a rental house and the landlord is a selfish cheap . He thinks it works great. He is from Korea.
    gero789654 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
    To remove the lower arm: hold the tab at the top of the arm with pliers or other instrument then turn the arm off. (if it gets stuck, you can chisel it off, $30 for a new one)

You need to take off all the sprayer arm components (including the top one) to get the lower assembly apart.

Then just keep taking parts off until you can see the impeller. Dig out all the stuff in there. I would sop up the water so you can see if there is any glass is in there (there was in mine).

Good luck
    markhauschild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2013, 09:36 AM
    Scottfamily8 IS AWESOME!! Tried his solution, found all sorts of trash, including a screw from something else entirely. Personally, I like number steps so:

1. Remove plastic caps off rails by pinching top inside of clip and lifting, and then remove both upper and lower dish trays (upper requires
    2. Remove lower washer arm by turning plastic nob in center clockwise (I had to use channel locks).
    3. Remove water track to upper arm by removing (2) phillips head screws
    4. Separate upper water track from pump discharge track by lifting tab on pump discharge track.
    5. Rotate pump discharge track approx 45 degrees clockwise and lift out
    6. Remove (4) star screws from screen and lift screen to remove
    7. (Fine filter screen is a friction fit and can be removed simply by lifting)
    8. Check Fine filter screen and screen holder for debris
    9. With a flashlight, use Wet/Dry VAC to clean debris from top of pump housing.
    10. The lowest part of the pump housing is the pump suction. I had to use thin needle-nose plyers to get various foreign object from the pump suction/inlet. Pay close attention here, this is where all the nasties are that my be causing your problem.
    11. Additionally, pay attention to the decline races atop the pump housing, they have 3 plastic fingers which do course filtering, lots of stuff gets stuck there as well.
    12. Reassemble in reverse order. When you've replaced the screen with the (4) star screws, I recommend placing a towel down prior to replacing the (2) phillip screws, I almost dropped on back into the pump suction necessitating removal again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Ultrawash Dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Kenmore Ultawash dishwasher that I'm having problems with. It's about 5 years old, and until recently worked fine. Now whenever I use it the dishes, especially glasses come out dirty, with flecks of stuff glued all over them. I've been practically pre-washing the dishes before I put them...

Dishwasher top rack not cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

We have a whirlpool dish washer(GU1500XTLQ0) that is around 4 years old. The top shelf seems to not be cleaning. I ran it with the door partly open and can see it is getting water up the arm. I tooy out the arm and it is not blocked and spinns freely. The very top spinner gets no water out of it....

No water on top rack of Kenmore dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old Kenmore dishwasher that is not spraying any water on the top rack. I have already disassembled the upper wash and rinse parts and verified they were not plugged up. Is there anything else I can check before calling in the repairman?

View more questions Search