Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaryK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Musty smell from new trane ac/heat pump not constant
    Hi,

We had a new trane 5 ton two compressor ac/heat pump installed last Sept. 26. About two weeks ago we noticed a really strong, musty smell coming from the vents. It was a hot day, over 90, and my husband had had the unit in the fan on all the time setting. The smell is only there when the compressor is on. It went away after a couple of hours. Yesterday, it was there again, only when the compressor was on and then again it faded after a couple of hours. I called the company who installed it, and the owner, not a repairman came by. He said he could not smell anything. Had my neighbor come over and she smelled it right away. It started today just after lunch time. It was over 90 again. And again it faded away after a couple of hours. Any clue what might be going on? The factory rep is supposed to come on Monday and check it out.

Thanks,
    Mary
    J Costa Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Sep 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
    The only thing I have ever heard of with that is what they call dirty sock sydrome, which is caused by bacteria build up on the coil. But if this is brand new it could be coming from somewhere else.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Remember that it's a central heat and air system. It sucks air from all of the house and puts it out the supply vents into each room. If you cook a cake in the kitchen you will smell it in the master bed room if the a/c is running. Check your drains in your house - clothes washer, dish washer, bath rooms you may have a bad sewer drain and the fan coil is helping spread the smell when its on.
    Whacked Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Had a brand new Trane heat pump and air handler installed--immediately began to emit bad smelling odor. The problem was obvious--the air handler is lined with a soft plastic and it is outgassing due to the heat from the coils proximity. It is noxious and unhealthy. Still in discussion with the installer and Trane at this point. The conversion to plastic from mental frames and parts is at the heart of this toxic problem.
    Whacked Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Just had a new Trane heat pump and air exchange installed. It immediately began emitting a strong smell. A little investigation indicated that the plastic housing and parts were outgassing due to their proximity to the coils when heating. The plastic in the new air handlers is toxic when in proximity to the heated coils. Still in discussion as what to do.
    Susiii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 12:36 AM
    Could someone please tell me how to test for the fumes. They have badges for monitoring air that read the air quality, but you have to know the name of the fumes to test for. Ex. CO2, CO. hydrogen sulfide, etc. What would I test for.

The list of badges available is here

http://www.afcintl.com/product/tabid/93/productid/129/sename/safeair-direct-read-colorimetric-badges-from-morphix-technologies/default.aspx

With that answer, I can go to the city and see what the limits are and get help with Trane.

My email is [email protected]
    Gassed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2013, 07:28 AM
    Could you please update me on this problem. I had two Trane systems installed and get a smell from both. I had one installed in my business which I have since sold and one in my home. We noticed the smell almost immediately from both. It seems to appear after the coils have been allowed to dry out---like when switching to heat mode but it is not a heating coil smell. The most prevalent time is when you go on vacation and set the thermostat higher and then when you return it is very bad---brings tears to your eyes. We live in Florida. I believe the fan recirculates air on a regular basis even when the compressor does not kick on. Of course, the repair company never smells anything but I believe that this may be a common Trane problem and a cover-up is going on because there would be widespread recalls and a bad name for Trane !
    DavidDiamond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Do you have a heat pump? Do you know if your coil is BEFORE the blower motor or AFTER? This makes a difference.
    rmw622 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Did this ever get resolved? We are having a similar problem with a unit installed a couple months ago

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced Transformer on Trane heat pump still no power [ 5 Answers ]

Today I woke to no power to thermostst. Through this site I found out about the transformer. Check power to transformer good 120volts each wire. But no voltage out. Replaced transformer. Wired red to red and white to white incoming power. And blut to black blue and red to black red out coming....

Musty smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

Recently our municipal water switched from treated well to treated lake Michigan water. Brand new pipeline. Since the new water was supposed to be half the hardness and wanting to save money on our now outrageous water bill, I bypassed my water softener. After 2 weeks, I'm now getting a slight...

Heat pump grease smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have a ground source heat pump which heats and cools our house. We notice a very distinct smell of "grease" when the air conditioner runs. It cools so we have been assured that the problem is not in the condenser. We do not notice this smell when it is in the heating mode. Any ideas?. JudyNTom...

Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result. The old wiring scheme: X2 - black O - orange G - green Y - yellow T - tan/brown R -...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

View more questions Search