Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apple001 Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
    Why does dark chocolate make me dizzy?
    Anyone know why dark chocolate makes someone dizzy? Every time I eat it I always get dizzy. Never happens with milk chocolate but it does happen sometimes with milk chocolate as well. Does someone know?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 05:45 PM

Chocolate has caffine in it as well as other chemicals. I believe dark chocolate tends to have more of it in it and it could be a sensetivity to it. Milk chocolate is actually cut dark chocolate. It also can be a food allergy. Have you tried carob yet?

Jul 3, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Never heard of carob? What is it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:06 PM

Carob is much like chocolate but doesn't come from cocoa. Also it tastes really good too. Just like chocolate.

This explains it better.

Ref:

TLC Cooking "What is Carob?"
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Do you have any known allergies?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2010, 06:35 PM

Dark chocolate (1 oz) = 20 mg of caffeine
    Milk chocolate (1 oz) = 6 mg of caffeine

Aug 3, 2010, 04:51 PM

But coffee never does it to me and I'm pretty sure coffee has more caffeine.. hmm weird.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 05:02 PM

According to The American Beverage Association:

Coffee, 8oz drip 104-192 mg
    Tea, 8oz brewed 20-90
    Iced Tea, 8 oz 9-50
    Soft Drinks, 8 oz 20-40
    Cocoa Beverage, 8oz 3-32
    Milk Chocolate, 1 oz 1-15
    Dark Chocolate, 1 oz 5-35

Other data on caffeine:
    Generic stay-awake pill 100mg
    Vivarin 200mg
    Cold relief tablet with caffeine 30mg
    klifford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
    Dark Chocolate makes me dizzy too! Milk chocolate can sometimes cause dizziness for me, but not nearly as much as dark chocolate does. European dark chocolate (i.e. Ghiradelli) really sends me into the spins. I have just been diagnosed with vestibular neuritis as the cause of my vertigo and have been told to stay away from stimulants, i.e. products containing caffeine: coffee, chocolate (particularly dark), tea, etc. They are thinking that I may also be suffering from Vestibular Migraines which caffeine will excaserbate as well. Glad to hear that someone else out there gets dizzy from chocolate.
    dizzy_me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
    I can eat just 1 bite of dark chocolate, and go into vertigo, or almost go into vertigo within a few minutes. This started about 10 years ago, and happens almost every time. I can drink coffee (lots of coffee), and have no problems at all. In fact, coffee helps get rid of the dizziness better than anything. I try to drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day to keep headaches away each morning too. I'm really puzzled as to why the dark chocolate effects me this way. The kind of dark chocolate that effects me the most is the kind that you find on chocolate covered almonds. I can't eat a single dark chocolate covered almond without experiencing vertigo. Every single time. It's bad.
    dizzy_me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
    I should probably also mention that if I don't drink coffee each morning, I start my day with a really bad headache. I think the headache is a part of my problem with the chocolate. My family doctor said that the blood vessels are effected by the coffee. I think the chocolate must have the opposite effect on the blood. Not sure. All I know, is drinking really strong coffee each day really helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to make chocolate truffles [ 2 Answers ]

One time I had this chocolate truffle recipe, they were really nice. I remember they had like crushed biscuits in it and milk chocolate and condensed milk. Can someone please help me find a similar method :) thanks xx

Is it normal for stress to make you dizzy? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal for stress to make someone severely dizzy?

Dark chocolate to light brown? Hair crisis [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. My natural hair colour is medium/light blonde. Last year I started getting a few light blonde streaks. 7 weeks ago I dyed my hair warm brown which said it would wash out in 6-8 weeks. It didn't come out fully so I was left with a light brown with a few blonde bits through it. I didn't like it....

Unsweetened baking chocolate vs. Cooking chocolate [ 2 Answers ]

Chocolate crinkle american recipe calls for unsweetened baking chocolate but can't find any in australia. Is "cooking chocolate" which looks like milk chocolate make much difference? Should I use dark chocolate or just cut the 2 cups of granulated sugar also required in the recipe?:rolleyes: ...

View more questions Search