Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanie_l Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
    Evicting an 18 year old
    How do I evict my 18 yr old son from my rented house and as soon as possible? He is disruptive of my daily life and my 3 other children's lives also. He stays out all night then breaks in whenever and however he wants. The police will not help in any way. I refuse to even call on them again. They are a huge crock of a sheriffs dept. And absolutely are not doing their jobs! I need papers or a court date or something to get this kid out now! If more detail is needed then please inform me as soon as possible.
    Thanks to whomever...
    Stephanie
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
    Sorry but not sure what you think the police are suppose to do, they are correct, It is not their job or duty to stop someone from getting into their residence.

You will have to give them notice and evict them. If he is breaking in, then give him a key or get up and let him in.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
    He is a resident like any other. So he needs to be formerly evicted. Give him a written notice to vacate within 30 days. If he refuses then go to housing court for an eviction order.

If he is violent, then get a restraining order against him.

The police are correct, you cannot just lock him out, so if he breaks in, their hands are somewhat tied.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... The police are correct, you cannot just lock him out, so if he breaks in, their hands are somewhat tied.
    Did you get this information from another thread from OP? Because I do not see OP saying the son ever had permission to be there in the first place. If he wasn't a "tenant", of course OP can lock him out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Did you get this information from another thread from OP? Because I do not see OP saying the son ever had permission to be there in the first place. If he wasn't a "tenant", of course OP can lock him out.
    I was basing it on the OP's comment that "he stays out all night". Indicating that he does live there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend of last year is evicting me anything I can do? [ 1 Answers ]

I had my own place last year when my boyfriend askd me 2 move in. I have no vehicle and was pregnant not by him. I have helped him with his kids, paid 4 all food, paid 4 repairs to be done and house etc. he is now evicting me with my 2 month old baby and I have nowhere 2 go.. I had askd him before...

Evicting 20 year old daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Can you legally evict a 20 year old on the grounds she never contributes and just makes life so much more difficult for everyone else? She has a full time job that could support someone living on their own. Please help..

Maryland-Legally evicting a 17 year 11 month old [ 11 Answers ]

Happy New Year all I have a friend that I wish would change her mind about evicting her son but she is heck bent on doing it. So I would like for her to avoid any legal actions, so my question is: Her son will be 18 years of age on February 14th will she need to give him a 30 day notice letter...

Evicting my 19 year old [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Burbank, Ca My daughter is 19 years old, she has no job, she won't go to school, and she lives off me. I called the police only to be told that this is just as much her house as it is mine. The only way to get her out would be through the courts eviction process. Wow is this...

Evicting an 18 year old child [ 2 Answers ]

This child is not paying rent and is on the verge of causing a separation between the couple with whom he's staying. Does he have to be evicted if he isn't paying rent? I don't know if he has any specific rights since he's been staying there for a few months? Can they just ask him to leave?

View more questions Search